Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - gettin lil man into huntin
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Oh I totally agree, there are MANY 6, 7,& 8, year olds that are very intelligent but that doesn't mean they should be handed a high powered rifle and begin hunting just to please a parents Pride...

All I'm trying to convey is that a 6, 7, 8, year old isn't capable of fully understanding right from wrong and none of them can determine on their own what a safe shooting condition is, heck most can barely read at 6 years old let alone judge the safety of a Rifle Shot.
(what's beyond the shot?, What's between the shot and the animal?, what's too close to the shot?, is the game animal too far away?, Are there any house nearby?, is there a chance the shot could reach nearby traffic?, are there any boulders or other objects that might cause a riccochet?)
Maybe I'm just too "safe minded" a hunter BUT I don't want to risk being anything different.

If a person wants to teach their children to hunt I think that's a great thing however I don't think ANY 6, 7, or 8 year old should be hunting with anything larger than a BB gun, maybe the 8 year old would be ready to step up to the .22 caliber but for now there's no reason to push kids into hunting at such early ages...

this is just my opinion, the Law in many states allows it,,, so it all boils down to the parent as to whether their child hunts or doesn't.