Deer Hunting Forums banner

new guy

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  guppy11 
#1 ·
i stumbled on to this site last night and desided to join today. this looks like a good place to learn more about hunting. i would like to apologize in advance if some of my post will be hard to read, cause i spell bad. i was unluky enuff to grow up in a house were my mom dident alow guns, and therefor dident get to hunt untill i was 18. i hunted one season, and was lucky enuff to get my first deer before jioning the army. 3 years later i was back out on a medical discharge, and hunting again in 2004. i think that the first deer was beginners luck cuase i haven gotten another one yet. i have learned as much as posible by trial and error, and it seems to be helping cause from 04-06 i dident even see any deer, and i saw deer in both the 07 and 08 hunting seasons, unfortunatly i never got a shot at any of them. what i have learned is that sucsess is not about doing everything right, its about not doing anything wrong. that was a hard lesson. i now focus on not doing anything to spook my game. i am extreamly sent cautious. i also focus more on getting away from the other hunters than i do on finding deer signs, and i move verry slowly when in the woods to avoid being seen by the deer. abouve and beond that i realy dont know a whole heck of alot about hunting and am all ears.

#2 ·
New Guy

Welcome from Vermont!
Sounds like you are going to have fun hunting. Moving slowly is just one thing that you have to learn but remember even moving slowly can get you seen by a deer. Their eyes are assume! The trick is to see them before they see you. I always keep my eyes moving all the time looking for a flicker of white where it is not supposed to be. A color in the wrong place, a shape or silhouette of a deer. Also listen closely for a twig breaking or any sound at all. Deer move quietly so you have to be quieter then they are. Scent is also very important. Eliminate as much of your scent as you can with all the items available to do it with. One of the biggest things to be aware of is the wind! You must know what directions it is blowing in. Stay downwind of the area you want to observe. A deer can smell you half a mile away.
Others here will tell you more things to do or not to do but most of all learn all you can and enjot yourself. Also be safe out there.

#4 ·
ya i got a sent loc suet ,hat and gloves, and rubber boots. i also spray down all my equiptment with the sent killer spray. as for how slow i move, i generaly take about one step every2 or 3 min. the deer i spooked in 07, i had goten withing about 20 yards of him before he white flaged me and i never knoticed him till he did. the 3 deer i saw in 08, i saw them before they saw me but all i saw was sillowets at about 60 yards and by the time i could make out wich ones were bucks they musta seen me cause the ran before i could get my cross hairs on them. i have sence had my eyes checked and found out that i needed glasses. so i am hopefull for next seson.

#7 ·
Glad to have you join and greetings from Ohio. Look over some of the prior posts regarding scent reduction and methods many of us employ to harvest deer. Some here are true trophy hunters some are biggest buck they can harvest from the area they hunt others are looking for meat. There is a ton of information from many great contributors.

#14 ·
Now theres a way to make friends quick! One of my SL's told me there isnt a debt in the Army that cant be paid back with beer. It just varies in how much of it. Lol.

BTW Welcome from Texas and Thank You for your service, much appreciated. Hope you enjoy the site.

#16 ·
Very close. TX Guard. Waco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.