Deer Hunting Forums banner

Shotgun Deer

12K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  burgerking 
#1 ·
Well lemme see.You point tha little round dot on the end of tha barrel at tha deer and ya pull tha trigger.hehehe j/k
I'd guess that I have taken more whitetails with a shotgun than any other firearm.My setup was mostly 12ga with both semi-auto and pump actions in 12ga with buckshot.I prefer single ault but when I was younger and we could still run the dogs I'd use #1 cause you got more pellets and the deer were usually running through the woods.The last few years I've tapered off the ole smoothbore but I still take a few trips a year into the woods still huntin with it.
I know some people may disagree but to me 50yds is about the limit for a decent shot.Of course this is hunting in the woods.

#2 ·
Are you talking 50 yards for your buckshot. I shoot alot farther with the slugs going thur my shotgun. I have not ever used buckshot. I beleive it is illegal in IN. But were I will always use slugs. I know that buckshot is ethical in some situations or they wouldn't allow it's use. Good luck.

#3 ·
Yes,Was definitly talking about the buckshot.I'm in the same boat when it comes to slugs as I have practically no experience with them.Where I shotgun hunt the woods are usaully very thick and the only places you can even see 50yds is a hardwood bottom on on the creek branchs.Man I love them woods.

#4 ·
yeah i dont shoot buckshot,except at intruders:bye: ii use slugs i got a mossberg with a rifled barrell its good to 100 but i like to stay at 50-75.havent been using it since i bought my rifle,in the begining thats all i used .I got to admit i dont miss lugging that shotgun around still hunting,ahh to be young again......:yes:

#5 ·
New to forum here. Here in NH buckshot is seldom used. I know some people that work in gunshops and they do not sell much buckshot. They largely use slugs in New England however buckshot is legal to use. I find buckshot is much more popular down South,Texas,etc. If that works for ya then thats the way to go.
In NH it is fairly thick hunting. You would think that buckshot would be used more...I think the old time hunters tend to use buckshot more so than the younger hunters. Overall there is much less younger hunters these days which may explain why buckshot is seldom used. All talk these days in this area is the rifled slugs coupled with the rifled scoped shotgun. I shoot
a Winchester 1300 with a scope with Winchester sabot slugs at $9.00/box. I am not pleased with the ammo price but I see a clear difference in results compared to a $3.50/box ammo. The grouping with the sabots further out makes the difference. I have taken deer at 100 yards with this set up. My preference however is to take shots inside of 70 yards with the shotgun.

#7 ·
Are Slugs and buck shot allowed in wisconsin......i am going to go deer hunting and i want to prepare so what all should i get before the hunt. should i make a list and if so, of what?

#8 ·
call your local dnr or game warden.it should also be in your regulations book when you buy your license:whistling:

#10 ·
no prob ya can probably do it on line.let me know how it works out:yes:

#15 ·
yup great gun i got one get it with both barrells one for slugs one for birds:pickle:

#16 ·
Excellent Thread Indeed! Sometimes, on the world wide web, we forget that there are different regions having different traditions and different hunting conditions. One can ask the same questions to hunters in shot-gun-only states, western states, and the southern tier of states....and all answers will be based on the region.
So....when shotguning for deer comes up....you will get a broad set of answers.
I will address deer hunting with shotguns in the southern tier of states. Shotguns, buckshot, and dog hunting has a long tradition in that area. Not that rifles were not allowed, but rather based on thicker woodland cover. In the Southern hammocks, swamps, and coastal islands....a shot over 50 yards is rare and most are much closer.
There has been and is....a very large number of buckshot hunters you seldom hear about! Not much has been done for them at the ammo factories and the syndicated rag writers are not concerned. The experienced buckshot hunter knows his range limitations!
Dixie Tri-Ball was mentioned and it is a fact that the load is the most powerful buckshot made......fact! It spans the use of buckshot and slugs in all-gun-states. It has been proved very effective on real wild hogs!
Now....We are seeing another change happening in this Southern tier......shotgun hunters buying rifled barrels for their favorite shotgun! A shotgun with a rifled barrel becomes a large bore rifle on a shotgun frame and can be the finest brush gun going! Hunters in this area want a switch barrel gun....not a dedicated slug gun.
I think we should think more about regoinal attitudes when we discuss shotgunning deer. Just because it may not be used in your area, whatever the reason, it is a viable method with the correct equipment!
Regards, James

#17 ·
dixie slugs see the thread slugs and buckshot.You are correct about different areas and different tastes.

#18 ·
In the southern coastal plains of NC where the swamps are many and the thick woods are all, buckshot have been used for many years. With autoloaders and pumps some of the load combinations are 4 buckshot what ever size, I prefer 00's if the gun patterns those the best, but the last shell being a slug. Reason being, running those big bucks with dogs, you probably get a shot in about a 2' opening and the deer running sometimes wide open. If the buckshot don't get him and you get an opening at 75 yds. the slug is there for backup.

#19 ·
i just checked the radar for saturday/sundays youth gun hun and i set up my hunting blind and some scent wicks in wind direction.....what time do you reckon i go in my blind those mornings?

thanks

#20 ·
one hour before sunrise gives the woods time to settle down from you walking in and getting set up.this way your ready the minute legal shooting time starts.you'll get a chance at the deer sneaking back into their beds and any latecomers to the woods will bump deer for ya:thumbup:

#23 ·
start getting up real early now and dont nap during the day this will help adjust your internal body clock.:thumbup:

#25 ·
i never did but i just bought a red dot scope for my slug gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.