Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bear sighting

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Id0ntlikeyou 
#1 ·
My wife an two girls one age 7yrs the other will be 6 months the 7th of July, was walking and picking blackberries today about lunch time. They were walking out to the powerline behind our house its about 300 or 400 yrds. back its one of my favorite hunting places. When my wife spotted a black bear that probably would have weighed 200 pounds or maybe a little more or less. When she seen it she hollered at my oldest daughter to run an she took off pushing the stroller running as fast as they could. I told them when I heard what they did that they should have stood their ground that running was more likely to trigger an attack, what do you'll think we are interested to hear?

#6 ·
About 4 years ago I had a pretty big boar bear scent track me right to my ladder stand and put his paws on the 2nd rung. I told him that one more step and he would get 30" of cold aluminum. He simply looked at me and steped down and fed his way away. I've had others run like they were shot out of a cannon. There have been several bears sighted this year in the area I hunt in PA.

#7 ·
Bears are curious and shy but sometimes the curiousity lets them get too close for comfort. The only time one should really worry is when there is a sow with cubs. That is a recipe for disaster. Other than that just yell at them and that usually is enough to get them moving.

#8 ·
My parents had a curious Black Bear on thei porch at their cabin. The property backs up to the Lincoln National Forest in NM so the get all sorts of stuff wandering up to the cabin. First time theyve gotten a bear though. I'll see if I can get the pictures and put em up. They are kinda hard to see b/c for obvious reasons they didnt want to use the flash...

Based on its height on the bannister of the deck, it was about 40" or so tall at teh shoulder. I have no idea if thats a big black bear or not, but it looked big in the pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.