Deer Hunting Forums banner

Be careful driving at night.

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  buckfever 
#1 ·
Sunday Night Esther and I went to pick Phillip up from work. about 300 yards ahead, barely visible in the headlights
we saw what we both thought was a "Person" walking right down the middle of the road.
It was only when we got to about 50 yards away that we could tell it wasn't a person but a "Moose"
walking the yellow lines up the middle of the road BUT at 300 yards and headlights barely reaching it, I would have swore it was a person.

A vehicle "SPEEDING" (doing about 65 in a 40) coming from the opposite direction ended up brushing the side of the moose
causing the cars exterior mirror to to fold up to the drivers side window. "LUCKILY" it wasn't a full impact,
A full impact probably would have killed the moose and possibly the people in the vehicle.
I watched the moose walk off the road back into the safety of the woods. It was a Cow with a live weight of about 750 lbs.

#2 ·
I see a trend going here Bruce. This happened near a Buffalo suburb a week ago

Car crashes into bear on
Route 400

The bear was killed

Updated: Monday, 18 May 2009, 9:46 AM EDT

Published : Sunday, 17 May 2009, 6:48 PM EDT
AURORA, N.Y. (WIVB) - A trip to the movies takes a very unexpected turn for a local couple.
A Friday night drive on the 400 Expressway had an abrupt ending for Errick Vedder and his girlfriend Brianna Kriger.
"We're doing 65 and the next thing you know airbags are going off, like you could see a flash of the bear," said Errick Vedder.

His girlfriend hit a bear in the Town of Aurora just after 9 p.m. Friday.

Vedder says it came across the road and there was nothing she could do to avoid it. The bear was killed.

Vedder and his girlfriend were not hurt.
"I mean if she swerved she could have hit the guardrail, she could've swerved too fast and flipped the car. A bunch of different things, she drove really good," said Vedder.

The 911 dispatcher didn't believe him at first.
"I'm like I just hit a bear on the 400 and she's like you mean a deer? And I'm like no, a bear. Like I hit a bear, she's like a deer, a bear, and I spelled it out for her and everything and she couldn't believe me,"Vedder said.

Vedder says the bear weighed more than 300 pounds.

His Pontiac Grand Prix has extensive front end damage and may be totalled.
The bear ended up in the median about three or four feet off the road. It took four guys to pick the bear up, carry it across the road, and load it into Errick's dad's SUV.

East Aurora police officer Darren Longboat was one of the officers who responded.
"It was just different of course, at first we were concerned if it was going to be an injury cause initially it came out as an injury accident possibly and they can be quite tragic," said Officer Longboat.
Car-bear collisions are not common in Erie County, but there have been bear sightings in the area.
"About an eighth of a mile from this location there was a sighting a few summers ago and also in the area of Bowen Road we've had some sightings and on Darien Road about 10 years ago," said Longboat.
Vedder said, "Hey it happens I guess you gotta prepare, you gotta prepare for everything."

Copyright WIVB.com

#8 ·
spring is in the air good time for a stroll i guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.