Deer Hunting Forums banner

Father fatally shoots Son

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
Father shoots son while hunting...

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family, I cannot imagine what this father is going through for ending his own sons life.

However, I still cannot understand how a shooter can mistake a person for a turkey, a deer or any form of wildlife. (Period)

In every one of these cases it's evident the shooter didn't properly identify the target.
I'm sorry if my statement sounds insensitive but these accidental shootings need to end.

#3 ·
sad story indeed and i agree with you bruce ,people are so eager to shoot without properly identifying the target and beyond.no game animal was worth that price paid

#9 ·
very sad had one over the boader here in NH the same weekend I believe they are brothers was not fatal but I bet it didn't feel too good
two more stories that make us all look bad

#10 ·
Sad, indeed. There's no way to console a family in that situation. Still, those kinds of things happen much more than they should. The thing is that in most instances, they could and should have been avoided. We all like to say we don't know how something like that can happen, but we all know exactly how they happen... a basic gun handing rule was ignored or forgotten in the ixcitement of the moment. Unfortunately, lots of times the folks involved wind up blaming something or someone other than themselves - for example, suing the gun manufacturers for faulty equipement, etc. Sure, a gun can misfire or a safety can fail, but where was the gun pointed when that failure occurred and who was holding it at the time? The safest gun in the world is still very lethal if not handled properly. Let's all take a lesson from these events and redouble our safe handling techniques - it's time well spent even (especially?) for those of us who have been shooting for longer than we'd like to remember.

#12 ·
No, Longevity in the woods isn't the solution, Longevity is a good indicator of a safe responsible Hunter.
The only solution is in "Knowing Your Target" and being 100% certain.
If a shooter can only be 99% sure of his target then the way I see it is he better be waiting for 1 more (%)percent.
99% and under is what gets people killed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.