Deer Hunting Forums banner

discouragement

9K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  10 point 
#1 ·
in my first season hunting i was excited bc i had been long waiting for my chance to go out with my dad and shoot my own buck but even with practice at field judgment on distance i miscalculated in the woods i think and i shot an 8 point and it was a solid hit in the vitals im sure but when i went to track it about an hour and a half later with my dad we found no blood at first but using hair we found and twigs that were snapped found massive blood about 50 yards to the left of where i shot it behind some brush. it crossed a river and then laid down i know bc i found a spot that was obviously layed on and a pool of blood about a foot by foot but again a blood trail went farther and it was a steady trail of blood a good amount for about another 300 yards but then it stopped and blood started to diminish and get smaller and eventually stopped and no dear i was wondering where i could have hit it and if it most likely died bc it rain towards a swamp and there was deffinately enough blood for it to have bled to death.

#3 ·
while it stinks that you didnt recover the deer,dont be discouraged.It sounds to me that you didnt wait long enough befor looking for the deer.we all get excited when we shoot a deer but you have to wait.If you know your shot was good dont go trailing the deer all your gonna do is push it.the fact that you found a bed and it was bloody meens you were pushing the deer.Your shot probably hit him in the gut.if it was a heart or lung shot ,the deer would have gone no futher than 200 yrds.you made a mistake that sooner or later everyone makes,be glad you got it out of the way and learn from it.By the way why didnt you follow the deer into the swamp?

#4 ·
o beleive me i followed the deet into the swamp i trailed it for 2 days. But u were right when i first shot and heard a solid thump the deer kicked its back legs up and ran i caught my breathe and looked for my arrow about 20 yards from where i shot and i thought i might have spooked it when it layed down so i went back to my stand for around 2 hours then checked the trails for the next 2 days straight even took a day off of school to go check the trail.

#5 ·
hey it happens to everyone at least once

#6 ·
yeah dont feel discouraged about that. we have all done that at some time or another. by the way you say the deer jumped after the shot it does sound like you gut shot it. i have been with my uncle when he shot a deer in 1 lung (prob) and we never recovered it. an example of us trying to recover the deer to soon. it went down basically right where he shot it which was 35 yds behind my stand. i heard it wheezing trying to breath. and then it quited down and did not make anymore noise or even move. i thought it was a goner. so i started down my tree and the deer never moved but as soon as my boots hit the leaves on the ground it jumped up and ran off. i still thought it would never make it far but we never found it. it looked like lung blood also. deer are tough animals and if they are pushed it can be very difficult to find them. think about the perfect shots right in the heart and they take off running for 100 yds without even a heart. they are survivors for sure.

#8 ·
ya u guys are right thanks im 15 and i can pull an 80 pound bow back but my arm length is 24 i can shoot 25 but im more comfortable at 24 i was wondering what bow i should get that u guys have personally heard good things from within the price range of <600$ thanks

#11 ·
less than $600. one of my friends son bought the diamond rapture. he got it set up with half a dozen arrows for $500 bucks. he seems very happy with the bow too. ive shot and was quite impressed myself. got any bow shops near you? go shoot a few of them in your price range and see what feels best for ya. then your choice is easy. it dont matter what brand it is as long as it does the job and you like the feel and ease of use. hope that helps a little

#13 ·
dont get caught up in the how much weight i can pull trap.A lot of people think the more i can pull the better the bow.a45# bow will kill any deer walking the planet.the avg draw weight is 62#'s people buy 70#and tune it down.A heavier draw will cause to you to strain and shake .My advice for what bow to buy would be this go to a store or pro shop ask questions try the bows see how they feel hopefully they will let you shoot them,most wont.get fitted for the bow draw length and poundage.Dont worry bout names find the one that fits you right,some have thick/ thin grips are you gonna be stalking ,sitting in a tree ,box blind,,?you need to get the right length ,i like a shorter bow.others prefer long limbs.Your going to be spending alot of money so spend wisely.ask tons of questions if the salesman becomes annoyed find another store your going to need service at least once a year ask about that.Im sure other guys will bring up other points i havent had my coffee yet.DONT RUSH INTO IT .Your most likely gonna be shooting this bow for a long time to come:wacko:

#16 ·
great ,what one did you go with?

#18 ·
i hear ya !have ya shot it?

#20 ·
way to go:biggrin: the twitch was probably from shooting to heavy a draw weight:wink:

#23 ·
you should practice with what your gonna hunt with

#24 ·
i usually practice with 3 or so arrows and then right before the hunt i shoot my basically brand new ones a few times just to make sure there accurate also. you gotta practice with what you hunt with. most arrows made today last a long time as long as you shoot straight and dont try to robin hood it every time. i pick out 3 seperate dots on my target and aim for the middle of each one. that insures i dont mess one up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.