Deer Hunting Forums banner

Rod building

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Deermaster 
#1 ·
I have recently been introduced to the art of building fishing rods. An old man that I have come to know has shown me how to start with a blank, some string, and a box of parts and end up with a custom made rod. I really thought that there would be a learning curve involved and that my first rod would not turn out well, but it did. I built a 5.5ft crappie/trout rod. I made it that short to control my casts working in the small waters that I fish for trout in in Colorado. I have had the rod out a couple times already and it performs flawlessly. I had Henry order the parts for me (he gets a big discount) and we got top of the line parts throughout. It still cost me ~$60, but the MSRP on all that stuff tallied up to over $200. I have only bought one high priced rod in my life, and it is one similar to the one I built. Tell you what...I don't know if it's just the fact that I take pride in building something functional, or it is just better...but I prefer my built rod vs. the bought one. Anyway, I had no idea this could be done, and I think that I have found yet another offseason addiction. Anyone else into rod building?

#2 ·
I built and rebuilt some rods many years ago, I used to also tie my own flies and jigs but I just don't have the patience or the eye sight I used to have. I reallly enjoyed it. A standard wrap wasn't to hard to make look right but putting designs in the wrapping was tough.

I have a split bamboo fly rod I bought from a lady years ago that I've been wanting to rework just haven't got around to it. I was in a local fly fishing shop the other day and saw a rod very similalr to mine that had been redone and they wanted $400 for it. I think I gave that lady $15 for the rod I have. It may get traded for some gear this year.:)

#3 ·
I didn't even attempt to make any designs with the wrapping...It was hard enough to just get it straight and tied off right. I am meeting up with Henry tonight to plan rod #2. I think I will build a 6.5' medium fast action cranking rod this time to use with a new baitcaster that has been laying around my garage for a while.

#4 ·
I meant to comment on the 5.5' rod, that is what I use for small trout streams and it is the ticket. I am looking at buying a 12' rod for the Crappie this year, I have also used the ultra light for crappie but I think I have found something with the big limber rod for Crappie, I'll let you know.

#5 ·
I have never built one from scratch but have rebuilt quite a few. There are some great books out there on how to make some of the decorative wraps on the butt section. I was able to get a nice result on a couple of my rods. Took a couple trys but is worth the effort when you get it right. I also learned from an older man on a cheap flea market rod that I had found. Caught tons of fish with it and received many compliments on how origanal it was, Goo Luck!

#6 ·
Any hobby that allows you to use the end product just adds to the overall enjoyment. I don't know anyone personally who builds rods but I can see where it would be nice during the long winter nights to relax and create a custom rod. I just purchased three new rods for a pike fishing trip this summer, I never thought about building rods for myself?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.