Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Baiting
Thread: Baiting
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM
B&C 180 Class

several studies were done on this and have shown that bait concentrates the animals in one area unlike a whole cornfield or apple orchard that's just common sense.a pile vrs a field come on.In NY its illegal to feed deer year round unless its a food plot.I never said creating a food plot was lazy or that baiting was a lazy way to hunt .i said it wasn't healthy for the deer.Deer can get plenty of food in the wild.when you bait the deer will congregate in the baited area when many times they woudln't be there .while they are waiting for you to drop your bucket of corn they are decimating the local forage to unsustainable levels.in some areas the deer have eaten all the the browse to the height that they can reach standing up on the rear legs.hows that good for the environment?If its legal in your area to bait and hunt have at but if you think your helping out the deer herd you are not plain and simple.deer dont need to grow huge racks people want to see them they get all the nutrition they need in the wild supplemental feeding is unhealthy bottom line.read up on it
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky