Deer Hunting Forums banner

less than an hour

5K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  ronn 
G
#1 ·
less than an hour after being sworn in, gun owners are taking a hit. the dip signed a freeze on the executive orders laid down by bush. freezing them for legal review. this will freeze the carry concealed in federal parks. what happens next i don't know and the report didn't say.

#3 ·
ronn that isn't true at all. Obama put the freeze on some things but not the concealed carry rule in National parks and wildlife refuges...

the following is dated December 5 2008

New rule eases ban on firearms in national parks

WASHINGTON – People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge — but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.

The rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

Assistant Interior Secretary Lyle Laverty said the new rule respects a long tradition of states and the federal government working together on natural resource issues.

The regulation allows individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal parks and wildlife refuges to the same extent they can lawfully do so under state law, Laverty said, adding that the approach is in line with rules adopted by the federal Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Those agencies let visitors carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.

"We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

The rule will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners on federal lands and make federal law consistent with the state where the lands are located, Cox said. The NRA led efforts to change gun regulations they called inconsistent and unclear.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"Once again, political leaders in the Bush administration have ignored the preferences of the American public by succumbing to political pressure, in this case generated by the National Rifle Association," said Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades," Wade said.

The park rule will be published in the Federal Register next week and take effect 30 days later, well before Obama takes office Jan. 20. Overturning the rule could take months or even years, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

G
#4 ·
THe report was on the Yahoo home page news this morning and it said the incoming president had to 60 days form the order to put a freeze on it. What was said on dec 5th has little to do with want is said on jan 21 these days. I hope it was a bogus report but it said what it said. I'll see if I can find it. if you find something that is with in the last 24 hrs saying the report was wrong post it.

G
#7 ·
this is all i can find so far but we all know they aren't going to comeright out and say we want the guns. i know i read it this morning just can't find it.
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

... 79-year-old executive order prohibiting oil shale development ... Weapons in Parks. Some of Bush's regulations are also being challenged by outside groups. ...
anonr.com/surf.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ibG9vbWJlcmcuY29tL2FwcHMvbmV3cz... - Cached
Obama Team Ready To Undo Bush's Parting Shots

... clearing the way for concealed, loaded firearms into national parks. ... The list of executive orders targeted by Obama's

G
#10 ·
Its not the first time I've read something on the headlines Yahoo and then can't find hide nor hair of it at a later time. It mentioned 60 days from order to review for legal reasons and the carry concealed in National parks specifically. Not that he could change it or would change it just the freeze of it. heck it was before my DD coffee but I can still read even if I can't speak. I'll find it, now its bugging me.

#11 ·
Oh I'm not doubting you read something about the freeze he put on some things and maybe the CC rule was mentioned but legally that's something he can't touch. He can begin the process to overturn it but like that article says it could take months even years to get it changed back.

G
#12 ·
yeah that's what i thought but that 60 day thing made me balk. heck its like being on a sinking ship out in the Atlantic. no point in worrying or crying about it now its to late just start swimming. whats gonna happen is gonna happen.

G
#13 · (Edited)
still can't find what I read but I did find this.
Democrats Eye Bush Midnight Regulations

By Cindy Skrzycki
Tuesday, November 11, 2008; D03

As President-elect Barack Obama's transition team prepares for the Jan. 20 inauguration, it is tracking the "midnight" regulations being churned out in the final days of the Bush administration.
Regulatory policy may not have as high a profile as economic issues and foreign policy for Obama. Still, many of these latter-day Bush rules are flash points for liberal public-interest groups, Democrats in Congress and the business community.
Among the regulations being monitored are a proposal to end a ban on carrying loaded guns in national parks, a plan that could make it harder for women to get federally funded reproductive health care, and a Labor Department proposal to change the way regulators assess risk for jobs, especially those that expose workers to chemicals.
"These are the ones worth watching," said Matt Madia, regulatory policy analyst at OMB Watch, a nonprofit group critical of many Bush regulatory policies. "Most of them relax existing requirements. They make it easier for industries to pollute or deny a worker medical leaves."
Some 130 rules could be completed before Bush leaves. The White House has finished reviews of 100 rules since Sept. 1, up from 36 in the same period last year. Representatives of chemical makers, scallop fishermen and kidney dialysis companies are among those who have pressed their cases with White House officials in recent weeks, according to a public list of the meetings.
The new president may issue executive orders to reverse some Bush policies and may get help from a law passed by the Republican-controlled Congress in 1996 to review and eliminate Clinton-era rules it didn't like. The law has been successfully used once, in 2001, to kill a rule designed to prevent repetitive motion injuries in the workplace.
The same day President Bush was inaugurated in 2001, Andrew Card, who was the White House chief of staff, issued an order blocking Clinton regulations that hadn't taken effect. Ninety final rules had their effective dates delayed, according to a 2002 General Accounting Office report.
To avoid a similar fate when Obama takes office, Bush regulators issued a call for what could be called 11 o'clock regulations. In May, White House Chief of Staff Joshua B. Bolten told agencies that except in "extraordinary circumstances," they should propose rules by June 1 so final versions could be issued by Nov. 1.
That gave them time to take effect before Obama is sworn in. Final rules often are challenged in court. Congressional Democrats say they are being vigilant. On Halloween, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California issued a list of "Ghoulish Midnight Regulations'' -- 11 Bush rules that involve changes in laws governing such issues as air pollution limits, disability rights, Medicaid reimbursement and how long truck drivers can be on the road.
"This is just a sampling," Nadeam Elshami, a Pelosi spokesman, said of the list. "We are talking to committee chairs on how to stop or reverse them."
One possibility is blocking funding. Another is the law Republicans aimed at Clinton rules.
With a Democratic Congress and president, the stars are lined up to meet the complicated procedural deadlines of the Congressional Review Act. Rules issued after mid-May potentially would be eligible to be disapproved during the next session of Congress.
"The Congressional Review Act, only being used once before, does add a new weapon and complication to the process," said Randel Johnson, vice president of labor, immigration and employee benefits at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Trial lawyers, who often sue corporations on behalf of consumers, say more than 60 rules contain provisions making it impossible to sue in state courts for negligence on the part of manufacturers.
These preemption clauses are part of safety regulations issued by the Food and Drug Administration and Department of Transportation rules covering the operation of door locks, how many seat belts must be in a vehicle, and the required strength of vehicle roofs to withstand rollovers, according to the American Association for Justice, a trial lawyers' trade group.
"The next administration has the task of addressing these in a timely fashion," said Gerie Voss, director of regulatory affairs at the American Association for Justice. In September, the Institute for the Study of Regulation at the New York University School of Law wrote to the White House to complain that at least three new rules violated the Bolten decree against what the institute called "last-minute" policymaking.
Susan Dudley, the White house's top rule reviewer, responded in an Oct. 9 letter, saying that the memo wasn't "intended to be a moratorium." She also signaled that there will be post-November Bush rulemaking. The Bolten memo contemplates it would be appropriate, with White House approval, for some rules to proceed "without regard to deadlines."
Cindy Skrzycki is a regulatory columnist with Bloomberg News. She can be reached at cskrzycki@bloomberg.net

G
#15 · (Edited)
:pickle:FOUND IT BRUCE:pickle:
WHouse stops pending Bush regulations for reviewTue Jan 20, 7:25 pm ET

Featured Topics: WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama's new administration ordered all federal agencies and departments on Tuesday to stop any pending regulations until they can be reviewed by incoming staff, halting last-minute Bush orders in their tracks.
"This afternoon, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel signed a memorandum sent to all agencies and departments to stop all pending regulations until a legal and policy review can be conducted by the Obama administration," the White House said in a statement issued just hours after Obama took office.
The review is a tool commonly used by a new administration to delay so-called "midnight regulations" put in place by a former president between the election and Inauguration Day.
Midnight regulations have been heavily used by recent former presidents, including the Democrat Bill Clinton, Republican George H. W. Bush, and most recently, the Republican George W. Bush.
Controversial late rules by the outgoing Bush administration include allowing the carrying of concealed weapons in some national parks and prohibiting medical facilities from receiving federal money for discriminating against doctors and nurses who refuse to assist with abortions or dispense contraceptives based on religious grounds.
Federal law requires a 60-day waiting period before any major regulatory changes become law, so some presidents try to publish new major regulations to ensure they go into effect before the new president's inauguration on January 20.
(Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

Thought I was loosing what was left of my mind

#16 ·
Ronn I'm pretty certain Nobama can only put a Freeze on "Pending" issues not on Rules/regulations that have already passed through the supreme court. That's not to say he Can't start the process to change it back.

I've been saying right along WE need to start preparing for ALL of the attacks he is going to make on "Weapons" & "Hunting" (and all the issues that are going to affect us) and ya know what I keep hearing?
Let's not jump the gun just yet, let's wait and see what he has up his sleeve, Give him a chance maybe he won't bother weapons at all, Meanwhile
his staff is drawing up a gazillion "changes" while WE just sit and wait.
I'm telling you all right NOW, I'm in Vermont and you all know how liberal Vermont is with guns and hunting and a lot of what Obama does is going to affect us as well but We still have State Laws protecting each of US BUT if your state isn't a "Pro-Gun" or "Pro Hunting" State, then you're going to be in a real dilemma If WE don't start to prepare.
Obama already won the first round, (he was sworn in) Are we going to just sit back and let him win round 2?
I'm doing what little I can do, I'm writing my senators when asked to, I've renewed all my PRO-Gun memberships but If we don't start Rallying behind the NRA and the other organizations fighting for us, we may as well just drop off our weapons now at the local post office.

#17 ·
very true bruce.that reminds wheres my checkbook?got to renew my NRA membership and send a donation

G
#18 ·
a hits a hit and the article told of a hit. like i said where it goes now who knows and the article didn't say. from the article it appears the freeze on CC in National parks is more true than not, for the time being anyway.

#19 ·
It's not true, If it were true Don't you think it would show up at the Concealed Carry website?
I check it everyday, there's not even a mention of it at the CC website but I'm sure if it were true
that would be the first place it would show up.
Wouldn't you think?

#22 ·
Update on the Issue

From the NRA

Obama Administration Halts Pending Bush Regulations

Friday, January 23, 2009

NRA-ILA has received many recent inquiries regarding the new Obama administration's order to all federal agencies and departments to halt all pending regulations until incoming administration staff can review those regulations. In particular, members are concerned about the order's impact on the new rule governing the concealed carrying of firearms in national parks.

In a statement issued only hours after Obama took office, the White House said, "This afternoon, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel signed a memorandum sent to all agencies and departments to stop all pending regulations until a legal and policy review can be conducted by the Obama administration." (You can view a copy of the memo on-line at http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/emanuel-regulatory-review.pdf).

The tactic of halting pending orders is commonly used by incoming administrations to delay so-called "midnight regulations" enacted by the outgoing president during the time period between the election and Inauguration Day.

While it is common for an incoming administration to make such an order, it does not appear that this action would affect the new parks rule.

The orders outlined in Emanuel's memo would suspend or delay three kinds of rules:

1. Proposed and final regulations that have not yet been submitted for publication in the Federal Register;

2. Proposed and final regulations that have submitted, but have not yet been published; and,

3. Final rules that have been published, but have not yet taken effect.

The new parks rule does not fall into any of these categories. The rule was published in December 2008, and took effect on January 9, 2009. To repeal the rule, the new leadership at the Interior Dept. would have to publish a new proposed rule, take public comment on it, and eventually publish a new final rule.

That action is certainly not out of the question--in fact it would come as no surprise if the anti-gun Obama administration attempts to repeal the rule. Of course, NRA-ILA would strenuously oppose and fight against any such attempt.

We will continue to closely monitor the situation and report on any developments as they happen.

Copyright 2009, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.