Deer Hunting Forums banner

Springfield 40

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  critter gitter 
#1 ·
My father in law brought one of his handguns (spingfield 40) over the holidays. I know very little about handguns but this was a very fun shooting gun. I felt a little guilty shooting all his ammo.

Ya'll have any thoughts on this weapon of choice?

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
that looks to be the Springfield xd service which is the 4". i have the xd tactical which is 5" in 45 acp. my son at 15 years old shot a 10 round group of one ragged hole dead center with my xd. first time shooting it. that was at 7 yards. better than i can do. guess there is a plus side to those video games. its a very good weapon. it has the 2 "safeties" the one on the trigger and the back strap. i feel much more comfortable leaving one in the pipe with this set up. my carry piece a glock 30 in 45 doesn't have the back strap wished it did. With the double stack mag, striker (hammerless), reliability, 40 cal, and being a springfield its a great choice for home and personal defence.

#3 ·
I think his handgun was actually a 5. I just got that pic off another site.

I need to shop for a handgun soon. (once we start working normal) Home security.

My handgun experience is limited so I dont have alot of guns to compare to but I really enjoyed shooting this handgun.

I know it was alot more enjoyable than the 357 revolver my bro in law brought.

#5 ·
I think a .40 Cal. is a perfect choice for home/personal protection not to mention I feel very comfortable using a .40 cal. as backup protection
just in case I ever feel threatened during a hunt.
You never know what you might encounter in the woods, an angry or wounded Black Bear, a rabid Coyote, etc.
Springfield armory handguns have an excellent reputation for being extremely accurate Right out of the box.
I also feel comfortable in saying don't worry about jamming or poor ejections.
Springfield armory handguns are built extremely well with each one achieving outstanding performances. :thumbup: :thumbup:

#7 ·
I have shot the XD in 9, 40 and 45 in all barrel lengths at Springfield Days. It is the most comfortable polymer gun I have ever shot (least felt recoil). I liked the 4" model the best for a house gun (quick pointing and good sight radius). The grip safety is a nice feature. Sprinfield says the XD in 9mm is approved for +P and +P+, and the 45 ACP is approved for +P. They now have the XD-M, but be aware that the mags for the XD and XD-M are different.

The 357 Mag is a GREAT caliber and a very versitle gun. You can shoot 38 Spcl or Mags. In the mags, you have a load from about 400 ft/lbs to 625 fl/lbs at the muzzle from a 4" barrel model. A light or medium load is very pleasant to shoot. Most self defense trainers recommend a cartridge with at least 400 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

I would suggest taking some NRA handgun classes.

#8 ·
My XD .40 has the 4 inch barrel, easier for concealed carry than the 5 in barrel. To make things better for home defense at night, I recently added the "glow in the dark" sights for limited visibility. Had to go to a local gunsmith to have them put on, but knowing for certain where your barrel is pointed makes all the difference in the world.

I've fired in excess of 500 rounds through mine without so much as a single hiccup. A (now retired) police officer friend recommended the XD and it's what I carry whenever leaving the house.

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.