Deer Hunting Forums banner

New old bow

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
Well,
I should be getting my new used bow in sometime next week.Purchased a 2004 HCA with a 50-60 lb draw weight off e-bay for $51.Can't wait to try it out.Thinking about going with a whisker biscuit rest.Any pros and cons on them?Also a truglo fiberoptic sight.TruBall thumb release.Does all this sound ok for hunting?
Thanks in advance,
Rock

#2 ·
the draw weight is fine for hunting as for the rest it comes down to personal preference.I would have gone to a pro shop but for 50 $ you really cant go wrong .When you get the bow bring it to the pro shop and have it set up and inspected for you. save you grief down the road.Welcome to the world of bow hunting ii see a lot of purchases in your future:wink:

#3 ·
yeah bow hunting can be expensive but if you got a decent quality bow that shoots accurate for the $50 you are way ahead of the game. like joel said it all comes down tp personal preference. each piece of equipment you listed has its pros and cons. there is nothing wrong with what you plan to buy. after a couple years of bow hunting you may see something else you think you will like better but thats just how it goes. with a bow, accuracy and the quietness of the bow are very key. with a 50-60 lb draw weight, a quiet, accurate bow, you can kill any deer you want. no matter the brand of sight, release, or whisker biscuit

#6 ·
Well I took yall's advice and the guys at the shop talked me into new strings and cables.Hehehe
They set it up with my whisker biscuit,tru-glo sight,string dampeners ,whiskers ,quiver and a peep.All purchased new from e-bay at about half the advertised prices from the the bowsights on the web.It turned out to be 60-70lb draw wt and was maxed at 73.I had them turn it down to about 63 and it shoots great and is comfortable to draw and shoot.
Wish me luck
Rock

#7 ·
its good to see you set up and ready to go. now its just practice, practice and little more practice. i think my bow is set on 63 lbs to. i like it a little low just because you are not straining a hemorroid trying to pull and hold it back. makes it much easier to shoot out of a tree stand in some awkward positions. good luck bow hunting this year.

#8 ·
ya see the proshop is always a good idea.the strings break the last of your problems is a ruined hunt:wallbash:

#11 ·
what release ya using i use a tru fire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.