Deer Hunting Forums banner

across the pond

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Kreygh 
#1 ·
Hi all :bye:,
New to this site, so please excuse me if i have posted in the wrong place but we over in the United Kingdom have started to hear about scentlock products ie. clothing that covers or conceals your natural scent.
My questions are do these products work? Which are best? And i would presume that you need a complete outfit -trousers(pants?),jackets,hats and boots for it to be effective!
Sorry again as you have probably covered this topic a thousand times already,but any advantage helps. Happy New Year and safe hunting.:thumbup:
cervushunter.

#2 ·
Hello cervushunter and welcome to the site. The subject you raise will bring a varied responce I'm sure. I do not own any scent prevention clothing, so do they work and are they worth the money I can't say. What I can say is you absolutely do not need them to be successful in the scent elimination process. I do take many precautions to prevent human scent from forming on myself and my clothes. The products I use are the scent elimination sprays, body wash, deorderants. I wash my clothes in a scent elimination product in a washing machine air dry outside then spray them down and hang outside again till dry then store them in a sealed plastic box. I am fortunate to have steam saunas in our hunting camps which is very good at cleaning out the human skin pores of any bacteria. Then each morning spray every piece of clothing prior to leaving camp. I even carry a small spray bottle in my pack to use during the day. Sorry for the long winded responce hope it helps.

#4 ·
I think scent lok may be good for hunters that aren't as skilled at Scenting down as well as the veteran hunter.
Some hunters use scent sprays and think they've done enough, it isn't. Like Huntingman says scent eliminator sprays, soaps, shampoo's, launry detergents, deodorants, those are all important steps needed to reduce odors and scents,
the scent lok clothing may add an edge, (maybe not) I don't know but I do know it's very costly and may not be worth it.
Hunters have been successfully harvesting wildlife for hundreds and hundreds of years without scent lok BUT if the scent lok manufacturers want to send me samples, they can email me for my mailing address and I'll gladly give their product a try... :wink: :wink:

#5 ·
I have a Scentloc coverall I use and I believe it works. I say I believe it works because I have had good luck not being busted by a deer when using it but if you can believe what a lot of people say about it the carbon has long past become not effective. The problem they claim is the carbon does not reactivate at normal dryer temps which is what I use.

I use it durring bow season.

#6 ·
welcome to the site.this topic is debated as much as what caliber is best.some believe they work others dont.Me im obsessive about scent elimination.i use everything.i wash with scent free soap treat all my cloths,change in the field wear my boots only for hunting etc.i also use a scent loc coverall during the early bow season cuz it gets hot and i sweat .I have killed many a deer at 10yards that never knew i was there.in the colder weather i wear a base layer of scent control cloths .I feel they give me added confidence and that is the most important key to success .you have to believe in yourself first then you will become a successful hunter

#7 ·
Hi guys many thanks for replys,
We over here have no bow season, it is rifle season all the time!(so long as the deer are in season) so i have no particular need to be very close, sorry i dont know the range of your bows, a short range shot for me would be about 30 meters and a long range 250 meters i shoot with a 7mm 08 and .243 both sakos 75's fitted with schmidt and benders.
As someone has said it seems to be a confidence thing, i shall hold fire on the clothing for a while and perhaps try stalking some deer during our close season using some scent free soaps, washing powders etc and also try some of your masking sprays.
Last year i had 68 deer(red,roe and fallow over here in my area)
I have 3 so far this year so off to a great start!
All The Best cervushunter.

#8 ·
sounds like a good plan HS ,wildlife research and dead downwind are all good products

#9 ·
i dont use any of the scentlok only sprays soaps and covers if needed and i shoot deer (well sometimes no luck this year)i am satisfied with them. I have sbuck up on a number of deer on accident so i geuss its working so far. it also depends where you are hunting if it is in a pressured area where deer freak out then i would go to all ends. but if its not so pressured then id say the soaps and covers are ok.

#11 ·
I agree with most of the above. My hunting close are only washed with baking soda and only used in the field. I use no clothes, boots, hats, gloves or anything else in the field that have been used elsewhere. Personal hygiene is a must for scent protection. Remember your breath spreads faster than any other body scent. Keeping your equipment scent free is a must. Gun oils carry a heavy scent. I have only cleaned and lubed my Marlin 30-30 for the last 26 years and my newly acquired Remington .270 with Vaseline, it has very little scent. Proper stand placement and wind direction is a key to hiding your scent. I don't own the scent lock clothing but the carbon use to make this product can only absorb odors for a short life before the carbon becomes inactive. I think the scent lock would work fine while new but it would eventually lead to a false sense of security as it aged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.