Deer Hunting Forums banner

Albino deer question

7K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Hi guys, so we have spotted a pair of albino deer a 6 point and a doe on our clubs land. Some of the older guys say they wouldnt shoot them. That they think it limits the chance of more albino deer as an offspring. I personally think that its more likely that these two are twins and came from brown deer but I'm not sure do any of you guys actually know for sure? I mean albino humans come from regular humans with a hidden gene. I'm just wondering cause I need some excuse to tell the oldtimers when I lay one down.

Thanks,
Aaron

#2 ·
not sure but if it was me and they said dont do it i wouldnt do it they might not invite ya back next year

G
#3 ·
I think you have it right. A biologist would tell you that they are inferior deer and the genetic defect should try to be erased form the herd. Now some states protect them and some states they are fair game.

#4 ·
I read stories years ago about albino deer and If my memory serves me well it stated many Doe's have the ability to produce albine deer but it's a weak gene and doesn't become active often.
I know of an area here in Vermont where many times hunters have seen albino deer which lets us know that Gene is being carried thru all these years because the first time I heard about one was way back in the 70's. My Brother saw one in that area in 2003 and a friend saw one (same general area) last year 2007.
But I agree with what Joel says, it should be discussed before any club member decides to down one whether it will be accepted as Fair Game within your club.

#10 ·
We had one on the farm here when I was young(35+years ago). Recently, we started seeing one that's about half-grown. This one isn't too affraid of us humans, either. I'm wondering if the deer's eyesight is bad, but who knows? They are legal in Va., and the local hunt club will probably run this one out with dogs and kill it.

#11 ·
Twin albino whitetails

Maybe, because of my experience with albino deer, I can answer your questions about them. I'm from central Minnesota and I've had twin albino whitetails coming to my backyard feeder since they were fawns back in 2006.
Their mother was brown so I would say yes, brown does can have albino fawns. At least it's the case with my experience.
As far as eyesight, the twins in my yard can see very well. But my farmer buddy has an albino buck on his land that's 5 or 6 years old and it's eyesight is very poor.
If you would like to see more of the albino twins, you can go to this link;
Local TV from Minneapolis did a segment on them from my home. The twins are only 35' from my patio door so the film crew got some great footage. There is some of my own personal video on the show and in that video you can see the twins mother. Look closely to the left of my apple tree. She blends in well with the brown grass but she is visible.

Attachments

#14 ·
thats awsome! I was told I have a pair in the area I am hunting, but I have yet to see them myself. I dont know much about them I have heard that the buck never realy get much horns most stay spikes. and the buck and doe stay small in size. they are game here in KY and there is one thats a full body mount in a gas station down the road that came from this area like 8 years ago I think the guy said. I feel its a real prize to get the oportunily to see one in the woods( well to me anyways) now if I ever do I dont know if I would shoot or not. I realy dont know untill it happens I think I would just be so amazed at what I was being able to see I would forget I was hunting and pull my cell phone and start getting viedo clips.

#17 ·
ronn,
I took these photos during the winter/spring of 2008. Yes, the twins still visit my feeder today! I haven't seen the doe since this spring but I did got some photos of the buck just before the Minnesota deer opener this year 2008.
Last year this buck had spikes on his head and this year he's a 7 pointer!

I've always wanted to harvest an albino whitetail. After nearly two years of my family going in and out of my home, the twins just stand there and won't run away. This makes the thrill of the hunt, no thrill at all. I mean if your just going to stand there... then just forget it! I'm not shooting.

Attachments

#20 ·
Harvesting albino deer in Minnesota is legal and you would think that would keep them in check. But it doesn't.
There's a state park a few miles from my home and it has 5 albino whitetails that reside there. With "no hunting allowed" in the state park, these albinos continue to thrive.
Of course one of those resident albinos in the park is a buck. I have photos of him but he doesn't have his antlers. I did see a YouTube video of him with his antlers but I don't recall the video number. If you search for the video,there won't be any mistaking his ugly mug! He's a big guy too. He has to be close to 200# if not over. I'll post a second photo of him standing next to other deer so you can compare the body size.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.