Deer Hunting Forums banner

A little advice from experienced hunters please!

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
So here's the deal........
On the property that I am hunting I have seen a big mature buck multiple times in the same area. So I set up a blind on a ridge that overlooks another ridge and a valley where I have seen him. Every time I try hunting that area...NOTHING, dont see him or anything... but If i'm hunting another area and start walking back to my truck through that valley, I disturb him in his bedding area and I see him every single time that I walk through that valley.
On the days that I am trying to hunt him, the wind has always been in my favor, and I take extreme precautions to control scent. What could I be doing wrong to make him stay out of the area when i am hunting it?

#2 ·
he may be nocturnal now.if your getting close to the deadline you may just want to creep into the bedroom and try your luck

#4 ·
You say the wind is always in your favor when you hunt that ridge? That could be your problem. If the wind is not in his favor he goes somewhere that it is. That could be your key to getting him. If you know what the wind direction is every time you see him try to find a spot that will let you hunt the area with that wind. It may not have the best view but you might get a shot at him.

My second thought would be to get a buddy to drive him to you.

#5 ·
If you can still hunt safely, try giving it a try. I have found that still hunting can work very well with mature bucks. Still hunting is moving very, very slowly and constantly looking 360 to see what you kick up. Do this with the wind in your favor and with clothing that makes very little noise. Personally, I like fleece for still hunting. Dad told me on my first deer hunt that I needed to always be doing a 360. Well, I didn't listen very well; and I missed a chance on a nice buck. We were working our way through some very thick and tall bursh on our property. I heard a noise behind me to find a buck running over the ridge. I must have almost stepped on that buck, but he did not move until I was about 50 yards past him. You can't move too slowly while still hunting.

#7 ·
you WANT the deer to get used to the blind but you have to make sure you and your son are,
quiet, not moving or squirming about and make sure you both use a good scent killer each time you head into the blind...
deer detect movement even thru a blind window don't underestimate a deers ability to see you, hear you or smell you
even though you're in a blind.
good luck to you.

#9 ·
He is there already when you are coming in and without knowing you are bumping him. You need to go in much earlier and stay put until maybe even an hour after dark. He is aware of your presence and staying bedded all day. Hunting in the valley would not work because of thermals changing through out the day. You will need to figure out a completely different access and exit route that will not encroach his travel corridor.. What you are doing now is only going to eventually bump him out of there for good. It is odd that you have bumped him so many times without blowing him out of there. There must be does holding him there at this time. Your window is short now so you need to come up with a plan now. Good Luck.

#10 ·
well i get in there before daylight , and there is only one way in and out for me . i just started hunting this place and do not want to disturb it any more than i have to at this time. last saturday before day light he blowed at me and then about 10 mins later came back and blowed again . then about 715 he came back and i could not get a shot on him. so i dont know what else to do. i may run him off.

#12 ·
I don't believe heading in any earlier is going to help your hunt at this point, If you're bumping him on the way in now
you could make it a lot worse if you go in while it's too dark.
If he hasn't been bumped out of there yet that tells me he isn't going anywhere, he's a crafty Buck and isn't about to
let you push him out of his home otherwise he'd be gone by now.
So I suggest heading in about 30 minutes before sunrise, that should be a good time to get you and your son settled
into the blind BUT I can't emphasis enough how important it is to be quiet, still and Descented. he'll get brave and show up I bet.

#14 ·
You guys are missing my point. He is going in through the valley. Valleys are the number 1# breeding and night time congregation areas for deer during the rut. He has to get there much earlier so to be able to circle up and around the area. If the deer hear him it gives them plenty of time to believe danger has left the area so to resume their activities. If he does not do this it will force the deer to bedding areas early where obviously he can not get a shot. But then again what do I know.:crazy:

#15 ·
all are valid points.i have gone in an hour or so before first light to allow things to settle down before sunrise.it gets very cold i might add.i have also still hunted in to a spot hoping to bump em.I think this late into the game you need to go to the deer not sit and wait,they 'll just wait till dark.thats my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.