Deer Hunting Forums banner

New hunting place!

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  flexj 
#1 ·
Well I acquired a new hunting spot this week and I am stoked about checking it out this weekend. It is in the area that I have been trying to tap into for the last 3 years. This area is where several huge trophy bucks (200" +) have come from recently that I have heard of. As a matter of fact on my way in there the other day I saw 3 big bucks on the back of a pickup at a gas station. One mulie (150") and two white tails in the 170s. Needless to say that got me pumped up. They came from a farm about 10 miles from the spot I will be hunting. Anyway this spot has a good creek and creek bottom that separates milo, alfalfa, and wheat fields from a brushy hilltop that the deer bed in. After looking around a little I found a shallow spot in the creek where the deer cross (~15 yards across) with a perfect ambush spot. There were 3 different trails that converge onto this crossing and each of them looked like a dad gum cattle trail (no cattle on the place). The ground was powdered with heavy deer travel. I will be spending saturday and sunday scouting this spot...I will take the camera along as I expect some good action. This place has not been hunted in decades and appears to be a hunting paradise. Hopefully this place will hold the type of deer I am looking for. I have all the meat I need for the year and one buck tag left. You better believe it will be saved for hopefully a giant buck that will be roaming this place. I will update this post on monday with the happenings of this weekend.

See less See more
#7 ·
some guys catch all the breaks :biggrin:Good luck go get em

#9 ·
some guys catch all the breaks
Don't think that I didn't work hard to catch this place...I have been trying to get a place in this area for years. Probably upwards of 30 refusals before landing this one.

wmi...get with me before next season. Maybe we can work something out.

I picked up a spotting scope today. Hopefully that will help me to see them coming a little sooner.

#8 ·
Aaaand its down in Texas right? So I can come there my hunters license is good and i dont have to buy a OK one riiiiight? :wink:

Darnit...

#11 ·
I had an "ok" weekend at the new place. It is so different hunting over there with the rolling hills, tall grass, and brushy swamp. Lots different from hunting the hardwoods. I had picked up a spotting scope which was a very good idea. I spent basically the whole time glassing the big open fields and brush lines in the swamp. I was sitting on a funnel the first morning and saw some deer. That afternoon I went to the other end of the place where the wind would be better for the anticipated deer movement. At this point I am just going on what the land owner is telling me about deer movement. Again that evening I see some more. The wind was terrible yesterday, and I did not see deer in the same area as saturday, but did see a bunch of does when I was on my way out around noon. I did not shoot anything this weekend, and will probably wind up regretting it. On Saturday morning, one of the deer that went through the funnel was a buck about 20" wide with good mass and had 10 typical points. He had a good rack...probably would have been my second best ever, but I just thought he was too young (3.5y/o).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.