Deer Hunting Forums banner

Question.....

8K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Id0ntlikeyou 
#1 ·
Ok....this may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer so here goes......you have more than likely seen on hunting shows when they finally shoot the buck/deer and they do a 'set up' where the buck's head is 'frozen' in the air (the hunter doesn't even have to hold onto the head to hold it up, well sometimes with 2 fingures)....perfect for the picture....I know that when things die after a certain amount of time they become very stiff....but do the hunters have to sit there and hold up the head for that magical time period until that condition takes effect (the name of the condition escapes me) if you can please give me some insight to this picture taking magic I would appreciate it....:photo:

#3 ·
If you've seen pics being taken of hunters that don't have to hold up the deers head then I have no clue how they pull that one off BUT when a man props up a deers head to take a picture once the head is in position it doesnt take much efffort to hold it for a good photo in most cases it' easily held with just a couple fingers and a thumb.

I know of one photographers trick is to have the hunter grab that skin behind the deers neck to hold the head in place and NOT grab the antlers at all. I hope this helps...

#4 ·
Thanks...I was watching The Bucks of Tecomate or Texas Trophy Hunters or some hunting show in Texas and they clearly where not holding on the buck when the camera man walked up to him and the buck's head couldn't be any higher in the air....

#5 ·
Could it have been a Full Mount ? by the way, the stiffening of a dead deer or even a dead person is called Rigor Mortise BUT in order for the deer to be that stiff I think it would have to be held in that position for probably 36 to 48 hours that's just a guess but I bet it would be close to that long if not a little longer.

#6 ·
No it had the full body and everything attached to it, they just shot it and the camera man was going to meet the hunter.....I don't know, maybe they use some string or something and tie the head up tto a rock or sticks....I've seen alot of people take photos using sticks to hold the head up, maybe that's it:confused:
K, I found this pic on the internet......I know it doesn't take just a whole lot of power to lift the head but with only the tips of your fingures? IDK

#8 ·
hes probably counter balancing it the weight on the legs keeps it from falling forward and its actually leaning into his hand,would be my guess.like when you hold a baby while it's in your lap

#15 ·
hunting show tricks

those shows do all sorts of things to make the show look better. I know a couple of guys who hunt for Primos and they told me all sorts of things in those shows are fake. they say Primos doesn't do it in theirs but who knows. Next show you watch look for stuff like when they show the deer coming then show the hunter taking the gun off safety or trying to aim or even calling at the deer when its in site, they said all that stuff is done after the deer is killed.

#16 ·
those shows do all sorts of things to make the show look better. I know a couple of guys who hunt for Primos and they told me all sorts of things in those shows are fake. they say Primos doesn't do it in theirs but who knows. Next show you watch look for stuff like when they show the deer coming then show the hunter taking the gun off safety or trying to aim or even calling at the deer when its in site, they said all that stuff is done after the deer is killed.
Beaux that's really interesting to hear about I guess there's no limit as to how far
some of those guys will go to be perceived as "professional" hunters.:crazy:

G
#17 ·
yeah its hard to buy what they are selling. there are some great deer though. i think they are more professional film makers. I looked into school for videography and there's a lot of shenanigans going on to make a better video. still nice deer. saw one the other day where the hunter shot an elk. the next scene they are walking up to it talking about which shot made what hole. they only showed him shooting once. the dumb part is there is no problem shooting more than once if you need to to get the job done. why not show it?

#18 ·
Yeah its pretty crazy what they do to look professional. We video a lot and when we watch it its easy to pick out our mistakes and its also easy to see how raw and uncut it is. Those guys are all out to make themselves look like great hunters but who can't kill huge deer every year when you can hunt on some of the best places in the country.

#19 ·
yup I agree "anyone" can kill huge deer if they hunt on lands where they're fenced and fed.
if a company wants to spends thousands of dollars to let me shoot those deer for them I'd gladly harvest a bunch BUT
only if they keep them cameras rolling and I get to keep all the meat, they can have all the antlers.
It's a real shame but that's all they're really after is antlers and it's slowly ruining the tradition of hunting.

G
#20 ·
are we going down that road again too? Bruce what? did you get a new spoon for your birthday or something? grin notice your avatar doesn't show you holding a nice doe. looks like someone has got a fist full of antler like they are proud of it and they should be.

#22 ·
But ronn I'm hunting like me, not Roger Raglin or some other quack pot trying to convince me he's a professional,
oh and don't forget the deer I'm holding was free roaming I've NEVER bought a deer yet. can ya hear me now?

G
#23 ·
roger was always free roaming and fair chase. does he go to high fence? I don't know any more. My point was you were proud of the horns, and rightly so fine animal, which kinda contradicts your meat hunter stance. The wanting to show off the antlers. don't get me wrong absolutely nothing wrong with being a meat hunter but there is also nothing wrong with being a horn hunter or a mature deer only hunter. being kinda "if its not like me, its less" kinda guy aren't you?

#27 ·
I did post pics of just the antlers and not the full deer cuz I couldn't prop them up in the woods like the almighty pros. And back then I had no idea about computers and technology, my how things have changed. Maybe I'll make a new avatar with those racks with me holding them where I shot them like a cool, creepy, retro throwback kinda thing. Well, maybe not.

#29 ·
I think you should make an avatar thats a tank. But thats just me. Lol. Not many problems in the world a tank wont solve!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.