Deer Hunting Forums banner

depression

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ronn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
hey fellas,
this is my first post so thanks for having me.
shot a big one this weekend 160s or so. I know i hit him for sure he hunched and kicked then took off like a bat outa heck, but couldnt find a blood trail. i watched him lay down about 515pm in a neighboring field. so i let him go for the night and goin back out later today. any suggestions on what you think may have happened? bad shot prob. he wasnt walking like he was injured tho. IDK...

#4 · (Edited)
ronn I think he let him lay for the night and going back today to locate him. No blood at the scene! could be a gut shot or possibly a high rear shot behind the liver maybe with no exit? I agree he should find something in the bed if not the buck. I'm thinking there should have been some hair, stomach fluid, something. I also assume it was a gun shot. Southernman, it must have been a late shot for no secondary shot when he laid down????? I hope he finds it and lets us know the details.

#9 ·
Sounds to me that if he hunched and kicked and walked normal, somebody shot to low and scared him. The first cover he came to he laid down out of instinct and to catch his breath. Better luck next time. Patience is a must, and even more so within shotgun range.

#11 ·
If a deer runs after a shot with a firearm, watch the tail when it runs. If the tail is down while running it is usually a sign that it has been hit with a good shot. A deer that has been hit can still have a vertical or somewhat vertical, white-tail while running. When you shotgun hunt, do the correct follow through and you should be able to see the slug impact the hide of the deer. I don't totally agree with everything in the following article (make sure a follow up shot is still a safe shot), but it gives some very good information.

http://www.cabelas.com/community-inthefield-fieldguides-v02-detail-wt-bloodtrailtrack-detail.shtml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.