Deer Hunting Forums banner

what do you hunt with

14K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  kentuckyboy 
#1 ·
well i allways ask so what are you guys carrying this year.
I'm torn between my hawken .50 or my brolin .50 am good with both but am afraid of droping my hawken best shoting gun i have ever owned can throw a 3 inch pattern at 75 yards over open sites.

#4 ·
I'm carrying my ol' CVA Stag Horn yet again, if it wasn't good luck I would hang it on the wall and buy a T/C Triumph. Even if I haven't seen a deer in weeks I can take that ol' girl out and shoot a deer in the first few hours, weird but I'm not complaining. It's pretty accurate too it will put three shots touching at 100 yards, the only thing I don't like about it is it's open breech design and how much of a pain it is to clean.

#9 ·
Just kidding HM, I own three myself. You just can't have two many guns. Ever seen a TC New Englander? That was My first MZ, short round barrel, single trigger it is a good shooting MZ, I also have a knight disc that the wife uses when she goes.

#10 ·
Buckshot i know the TC rifle you are talking about. I think I'm going to build one more flintlock. I would like it to weigh around 7 lbs so a 1/2 stock in 54 cal with a 15/16" barrel should cut the weight down. That Hawken I built weighs around 9-10 lbs and is not much fun to carry anymore. I've been on line looking for parts and supplies, maybe a Christmas present????

#14 ·
But where's the challenge? You just go out and shoot a giant buck knowing the gun will always fire! You really need new challenges, piece of english black flint some ffff in the pan blinding smoke in your face. Maybe it goes off!!! :confused: I just ordered 8 new french amber flints, have never tried them, they are more rare.

#15 ·
Hm to be honest I was just trying to save money. You see after spending hundreds of hours and miles on my feet to locate a trophy class buck if that gun did not go off I would bend it around a tree. Then burning it would be too nice so I would leave it a slow death to weather and termites. I love my hunting too much to get that upset. I love looking at them but the only thing they are good for to me is a spot over the fireplace. A lot of them are beautiful pieces of workmanship but if I need to go primitive I'll shoot a stick and string.:no::biggrin:

#16 ·
I don't go as far as the flintlock but still use musket caps, round balls, and open sights....45 cal. Is is fun wonderin if the thing will fire...hasn't failed yet! And yea with all the time and effort WMI puts in to finding those woppers of his, I'd hate to see him after a misfire...grins......

#17 · (Edited)
I agree it would sadden me severely if it didn't go off for wmi!:ranting: For me it adds to the challenge in a big way. Sets me back in time a bit and if it doesn't fire then the deer won that round, not a big deal to me. Most times i'm able to laugh when all I get is a small puff and no bang. Really doesn't happen all that much. Always depends on moisture at the time. I'm not sure how they fought with flintlocks in the rain??? WMI this is all in fun, I know you take things pretty seriously and that works for you!

#18 ·
All I know HM is big mature old bucks are at least around here a tough nut to crack. With me if I am able to locate and put all the pieces together to get up close a personal with one I don't want any surprises. To have an equipment failure at the moment of truth would throw me off the deep end. HOWEVER if I was just going out to whack some does it probably would be fun. Guess I'll have to give it some thought-----------OK I thought about it ---NAH!:biggrin: I love big bucks more than does. I really enjoy matching wits with them, of course they win most of the time but every now and then.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

#21 ·
Hey man, you mean to tell me that trophy hunters don't have any fun hunting?:crazy: Gosh, more like a job hey? Too much pressure to enjoy it?:no:
If I was a doctor, I'd prescribe a flintlock rifle to you just to relieve the stress.:wink: WMI, all fun aside, you have a great holiday and get that monster. Me I'm waiting for those new french amber flints to arrive, I can always head out just for the fun of it! Blood pressure is falling even as I write this.:smile:HM

#22 ·
Going out tomorrow myself. I always enjoy seeing deer and other wildlife. Keeps my mind free of work and such. There is just something about seeing a monster rack walking at you that nothing else compares. The adrenaline goes threw the roof every time. I get the biggest kick out of watching all the animals and birds just doing the things they do. That is relaxing to me. I'll never get bored of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.