Deer Hunting Forums banner

What the heck??

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  flexj 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a great hunt this weekend and it all came to a peak about 7:30 sunday morning when I spotted one of my target bucks creeping down the hill down a trail that would take him directly into my shooting lane. Everything went perfect as the big buck entered the lane and stopped at my grunt. I was hunting with a bow, and had already come to full draw. I placed the pin right where I wanted it and released. The buck turned and walked back up the hill until he was about 30 yards away and just stood there. I was watching and waiting for him to fall. I thought I had made a good shot, and my arrow passed cleanly through. The buck stood there for probably 30 to 45 seconds before it took off walking again. He jumped the fence and continued walking out of sight. I thought it was strange, so I stayed still in the stand for a while, and then climbed down to get my arrow. It had some fat smeared on it and a small smear of blood. Not what I was wanting to find. I don't really know...I think I was aiming a little high because I was 20 ft. above the deer and it was fairly close to the tree (10yds). I don't know exactly what happened, but I know I saw the arrow come out the other side of the deer. It did not deflect off the ribs or shoulder, but apparently did not hit any vital organs as it passed through the chest. I have never had this happen, and didn't really think it was possible. Maybe I didn't hit where I thought, because fat and blood smears usually mean too low according to my hunting mentor. What does fat and just a little bit of blood smear on an arrow tell you guys. Oh, and the blood trail from this deer was almost completely non-existent. I found less blood on the trail as I would get from a cut finger...I'm just left thinking "What the Heck"?

I probably walked 15 miles through canyons and brush and never saw any sign of the deer or his trail. Then went and got some buddies and went back that afternoon for a few hours...no deer. I hate to give up on a deer, but I guess I did. This is only the second deer I have ever lost, and I still don't understand just how my shot went off. I guess stuff like that just happens, that's what they all said, but I put a lot of effort into keeping out of this situation. It upsets me to lose a deer...

See less See more
#3 ·
That close I would have to think it was a high hit and passed through just under the skin picking up the fat. If that's the case the good news is he will shake it off and have no ill effects.

When their that close I have to think to hold low on the deer.

#5 ·
I'd bet that your Arrow hit low and caught just enough hide to enter and exit without doing any real damage,
(I call that a skin hit) I would agree with wmi also, make sure you track it as long as possible before calling it done.

#6 ·
i agree with bruce and buckshot but you owe it to the deer to keep looking the fat may have pluged up the holes so no blood trail.look for the footprints,kicked up leaves etc.also the blood may be up high on the bushes not the ground

#7 ·
I agree with Bruce as well. Most shots at 10 yards or so are low. It is because of the relationship between site and arrow trajectory. Probably gave him a bad hair cut. LOL. This happens way more than you think and yes I have done this as well. When the adrenalin is flowing it can be be easily forgotten. Tuck it away in your memory and fix it the next time he screws up coming to close to you.

#10 ·
Sound like you spent a lot of time looking.. Thats good you didnt give up to quick..

I differ on my thoughts than wmi and bruce and agree with buckshot on the shot placement. If there close up, 10 yds or closer. Wouldnt you shoot high?

Technically speaking if you shot correctly, bending at the waist etc, your shot would still be fine. But the way that most hunters adjust to shoot they end up shooting high at a close target out of a stand. Thats the way most of my hunting buddies miss. Some of them even aim low a couple inches to compensate for close shots.

I dunno... :whistling:

#11 ·
muleskinner - I found a blood smear on one of the vanes. That was the only blood on the arrow.

I did spend a lot of time tracking and looking for him, and I am fairly convinced that he did not die that day. I just hope that he does not get an infection and die later. He was not a 170 incher, but was still a great buck...would have been my second best.

#17 ·
muleskinner - I found a blood smear on one of the vanes. That was the only blood on the arrow.

I did spend a lot of time tracking and looking for him, and I am fairly convinced that he did not die that day. I just hope that he does not get an infection and die later. He was not a 170 incher, but was still a great buck...would have been my second best.
I'll bet any money you hit low and just grazed the brisket. Had you had a pass thru blood would have been on all three vanes. Same exact thing happened to my buddy opening day.

#22 ·
Yeah, It's nice to know he's still there. The pic was taken I think 5 days after I shot him. Maybe he will be around for this weekend. I'm having some buddies over to try to get some deer killed...should be a fun weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.