Deer Hunting Forums banner

what do you prefer?

28K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Poopnoodles 
#1 ·
just wondering what you folks prefer to hunt with when it comes to handguns?I dont know if I prefer it or not because its the only hand gun I've hunted with: a 44mag S&W 629

#34 ·
Model for concealed carry? How much can you afford to pay? There are plenty of models out there in a variety of price ranges. (Personal) Recommendation is to go with either a three or four inch barrel if it's primary purpose is going to be concealed carry. I have a 1911 clone in 5 inch and I feel it's a bit too much to try to haul out if I need it in a hurry. (But I certainly do like its whopping 230 grain hollow points for stopping power!)

I carry the Springfield Armory XD in .40 cal with the 4 inch barrel. It's lightweight and has plenty of stopping power when combined with Winchester Ranger taloned hollow points. (oops, was I not supposed to admit using them?)

Randy

#38 ·
I dont handgun hunt....Yet, but if I were to start today and had my choice of firearms I would go with a remington XP-100, a T/C contender or the 629 in that order.

#39 ·
454 Casul

I hunt the pistol season in Delaware with my 454 encore, Hornady 240 Grain bullet (1900 fps out of a 7 " barrel) my encore has a 12" barrel so it moves right along but you are always hoping it doesn"t take a lot of shots to sight it in. Topped with a 1.5X4 Bushnell pistol scope. It looks like something out of star wars but it takes em down. Works for me!:nerd::nerd:

#45 ·
Capt Rick Hiott, This is a really decent group for any handgun at 80 yards but it I wouldn't accept this is as being the best grouping I could do, I hope you plan on improving your accuracy before attempting to shoot at any deer in the 80 yard range.
Deer are extremely tough animals and knowing deer rarely offer up perfect shots to anyone, You'd hit the deer but chances are you'd only wound it causing it to bound off never to be found.

Good Luck and I hope you bag your first handgun Deer! :thumbup:

#46 ·
O-yeah,,,I plan on using the sand bag the next time. Im 100% sure I can do better than this. The gun was moving from side to side when I was holding it,,Im sure the sand bags will help.

I also think I should set the scope at 50-60 yards instead of 30. That would be a happy medium. I shoot it more at 30 yards than 80-100

Im not into wounding deer,,,I like them to drop right there!!!!!!

#47 ·
I think resetting the scope is a super idea, i think a midway point like 40 yards will make you a happy handgunner for sure. :thumbup::thumbup:

#52 ·
If I get a deer to stand still inside bow range, I might have to try my Smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 in 40s&w. It's the 5 inch and with Winchester silvertips it sends that 155gr jhp out at over 1200fps. I know that most won't approve, but under 40 yards I can hit a pop can no problem, and I am disciplined enough to absolutely not take a shot any further than that. Nor will I take a shot that isn't clear and either perfectly broadside or slightly quartered away to drop in behind the shoulder.