Deer Hunting Forums banner

Any deer hunters using slug guns?

27K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  Backwoods 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering if there are any deer hunters using slug guns.Don't myself but i'm might be thinking on buying one so tell me what make and model you have and the goods and bads about them so i know what to buy.Thanks :smile:

G
#2 · (Edited)
Jose

Just back again putting in my two cents worth.It seem i have a hutnnig story for every thing i guess. It was about twenty years ago ,a hutnnig buddy and his girl freind all went hutnnig with me . Back then you did not see many women hutnnig . We all got in my truck in the morning early. ,I was surprized to see the little gal packing such big gun . I think it was a 303 british army sporter enfeild . Off we went down the logging , when we stopped the truck to take a pee , When me and buddy were out of hearing range ,I ask him can his girlfreind shoot that big gun , his reply was I dont know .Well off we went down the road again. All of sudden here runs some doe deer across the road and a very big 5 5 whitetail buck. my coffee hit the floor along with its container,I got my truck stopped .My buddy I and hopping around getting buck fever bad ,yet the little Gal remained comm and in collected mamer went to side and ahead of the truck put a bullet quickly into here gun and shot the buck, down it went . Well we were, some what shocked my buddy and I . So asked the Gal , did she get nervous. no she said , no time too. But I do feel like I,m going to puke now , after a minute our two she was ok. Off we went to see the downed buck ,125 yards later at here buck , the buck took the bullet right behind shoulder great shot . She said, that this was here first buck ,so I ask were she learned to shot like that .She said here grandfather taught her on his farm shooting tin cans ,were as she pulled out a knife ask for help gutting the deer.Granpa told me you got to clean your own game please give me a hand. Well I tell youI have seen alot things ,but she was something ,the little lady with the big gun! My Buddy did marry her ,and there still out there hutnnig every year. Ha Ha .

#3 ·
I shoot a rem 870 express mag with a Hastings slug barrel and a leupold shotgun scope. I shoot the 3 inch Buckhammer slugs they are 600gr. Pros: shoots a really big bullet accurate out to 125 yards or so, thats about it besides it a really cool gun. Cons: It really kicks hard, a shotgun trigger is not like a rifle trigger so from the company its kind of hard to get used to it because you have to pull it so much harder, slugs are expensive. I really like mine when hunting with it, but sighting it in I recomend a Caldwells led sled or something similer.

#5 ·
I have a bolt action slug gun with a ported barrel when I shoot from a stand or tower. If you are going to be hunting in heavy cover, I would recommend a pump or auto. For a pump, I like Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. Make sure to get one capable of shooting a 3" shell. Be aware that some have a rifled barrel and some have a smooth barrel. Don't confuse the description of rifle sights for a rifle barrel. If you are going to be putting an optical sight on a gun that is not a single action or bolt action, I recommend getting a barrel with a cantilever mount.

Rifled slugs can be more expensive than rifle ammo. Sabot slugs (for a rifled barrel) can be a few bucks a pop. Here is a tip. If you do decide to get a slug gun, buy one or two boxes of the same lot (box of 5) of three or four manufactures when they are on clearance after the season is over. See which proves to be most accurate. Personally, I like Lightfield EXP (I use 2 3/4 with a 1 1/4 once slug). I started using them years ago because they were the least expensive sabot round at the time (no longer true). This round really knocks them down.

Be aware that wind really affects a slug. Just a 10 MPH wind can push the slug 6 inches at 100 yards. When you sight in the gun, use a distance of 50 yards to set the windage (make sure it is perfectly centered vertically with the bullseye). Use the longer distances to adjust the elevation.

#8 ·
I have a bolt action slug gun with a ported barrel when I shoot from a stand or tower. If you are going to be hunting in heavy cover, I would recommend a pump or auto. For a pump, I like Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. Make sure to get one capable of shooting a 3" shell. Be aware that some have a rifled barrel and some have a smooth barrel. Don't confuse the description of rifle sights for a rifle barrel. If you are going to be putting an optical sight on a gun that is not a single action or bolt action, I recommend getting a barrel with a cantilever mount.

Rifled slugs can be more expensive than rifle ammo. Sabot slugs (for a rifled barrel) can be a few bucks a pop. Here is a tip. If you do decide to get a slug gun, buy one or two boxes of the same lot (box of 5) of three or four manufactures when they are on clearance after the season is over. See which proves to be most accurate. Personally, I like Lightfield EXP (I use 2 3/4 with a 1 1/4 once slug). I started using them years ago because they were the least expensive sabot round at the time (no longer true). This round really knocks them down.

Be aware that wind really affects a slug. Just a 10 MPH wind can push the slug 6 inches at 100 yards. When you sight in the gun, use a distance of 50 yards to set the windage (make sure it is perfectly centered vertically with the bullseye). Use the longer distances to adjust the elevation.
GREAT POST!!:goodposting:

#6 ·
all the ohio guys should be all over this one. i use a mossberg 835 open sights, rifled barrel and remington platinum tip sabots 2 3/4". if you are using a rifled barrel you SHOULD only use sabots as the lead slugs are so soft they will fill in the rifling and not be as accurate. one thing about the mossberg 500, and i have one and used to hunt with it, after they get "used" the fore grip, slide, gets loose and noisy, jmo. good gun though and the back sights fold down so remember to flip them up.

#7 ·
I shoot a Remington 870 20ga. with a Hastings 24" fully rifled cantilever mount barrel. I have a 2.5X20 Simmons scope on it, and shoot Remington "buckhammer" slugs. Its very accurate for a shotgun out to about 100 yards. This is what I have to hunt with in the NY southern zone where i live.

#16 ·
I use an 870 12ga with a smooth bore and the remington managed recoil rifled slugs. Gets the job done with no problem. A box of 5 cost less than $3.50 at Walmart and the kick is practically non-existent. But I wouldn't push them beyond 100 yards for deer and 50 yards for bear.

#9 ·
I actually put the .270 away 3 years ago & started carring my mossberg 835 I have got 4 deer with it in the last 3 years the woods are too thick for long range shots & who knows where a stick would send that .270 round While hunting in NY 3 years ago I shot right through a small tree never saw it in the scope (about 1 1/2 Dia) stayed on target & took out the deer ever since I have been hunting with it If I were going some where where I had over a 75 yards I would most likely pull out the .270

#10 ·
As mentioned above I grab my TC Omega every time. I own a rifled 12 gauge slug gun. My Omega shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards. I am lucky to get a 3" group from my slug gun at that range. I would rather have only 1 shot and be very confident with it than multiple shots for less accuracy.

#13 ·
slug won' hit paper at 50 yards. had 3 other people shoot 870 same results. shothornaby dead on whats up? people say it's the slugs just got from bass pro could they be bad? thanks bruce
I use these slugs in a Remington 1187 and they are very accurate. Both paper and field. I've heard some people claim they can hit 150+ yards, but I personally don't take those shots. I'm solid from 100 yards and in.

#18 ·
personally i use a Mossberg 500 series 20 Ga... i have both the acu choke barell and the riffled slug barell... i have shot the same version of this gun in the 12 gauge and i prefer the 20 actually... and for the noisy slide ITS EASY TO FIX!!!!! just a few min of your time and sime thinking... now with the slug barell i will ONLY use Winchester Super X Sabot rounds... with them and some pratice there is no reason why u cant take a deer at 100 yds with open sight, i love everything about my shotgun and i highly recomend it to everyone... and one thing alot of ppl dont beleive untill they shoot my gun with my slugs... is that i kicks just as hard if not harder then the 12 gauge... i proved someone wrong the other week when we were shooting, he said its impossible and i let him shoot it and then he shut his mouth and asked how much it cost... few weeks later he sold his 12 gauge mossberg 500 and got the 20... GREAT GUN!!! :biggrin:

#20 ·
don't be discouraged

don't be discouraged. i hunt in ny and until recently have only hunted with a slug gun. i have always used a mossburg model 500 w/ a smooth bore and bead sight, but a ithica deerslayer is a much better gun. the mossburg pump action is a little loose and noisy. i have never had to shoot a deer past 40 yrds and only use a second shot b/c i can't watch a deer die slowly at those kind of ranges.

#21 ·
slug gun

if you dont mind having only 1 shot new england arms has a 12 ga single with rifled bull barrel and scope mounts i have a red dot on mine and shoot 3" brennake slugs, its the flatest shooting gun i have ever owned good to over 100 yards
you can get gun and scope for under 350.00 out the door

#22 ·
H&R Ultraslug All the way!

I've hunted NJ and Maryland both for two years and Ohio for one year. Where I hunt in all three states offers a combination of open woods and interspersed fields of 40 acres or so in size. I needed a gun and scope combination that would accomodate both and since the places I hunt are shotgun only, that limited my choice from the start. I opted to go with an H&R Ultraslug gun because I had the opportunity to shoot my brother-in-laws and was truly impressed at how tightly it grouped sabot slugs. I ended-up getting the H&R Ultraslug with the laminated thumbhole stock and a Nikon scope. I went to my local range to sight it in and to determine which sabot slug worked best in my new gun. I tried 3" Remington Accutips, 3" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold, the 3" Brenneke KO Sabot, and the 3" Federal Vital-Shok Barnes Expander. As you can see, it was not inexpensive to determine which sabot my gun preferred. Anyway, my new H&R Ultraslug preferred the 3" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold by a slight margin. I actually shot all the sabots pretty well but I wanted to use the one that preformed best. Well, two years and 7 deer later, I must say that as far as I am concerned, nothing . . . and I mean nothing beats the H&R Ultraslug for accuracy. Every deer was an instant "drop where they stood" kill. My furthest shot to date was 140 paces along the edge of an open field just after sunup. I was impressed to say the least. The H&R Ultraslug is a bit on the heavy side but it is funny how you don't notice that fact when you are gutting you deer! 7 shots from 20 to 140 paces - 7 instant kills - no trailing - no chasing - no missing . . . and the gun and scope combo cost me just under $400.00. Now you just can't dislike the gun when it consistently provides this kind of result can you?

#23 ·
well I have used my shotgun on 3 deer all went down where they stood & I only have used the cheap remmy sluggers
I tried them fisrt & my cheap Charles Daly seems to like them so I have not tried anything else I don't get the shotgun out much as I mostly use the rifle but depends on where I am hunting

#24 ·
By the weekend I hope to have a new saddle mount and red dot on a Rem 870 express mag w/slug barrel. This is my Christmas present to me! I haven't yet shot the 870 so all sight-in will be first shots fired. Anybody shooting 870 slug guns and what sabots are you using? Thanks.

#27 ·
I like to shoot a H&R single shot with lightfield slugs. The gun is shorter in length but it makes up for it in weight witch makes it easier to steady the gun for using a scope. The good thing about the gun is the accuracy of it, the down side of it is it is only a single shot. I can hold groups at a 100 yards within a inch. Each gun is tested by the company to shoot 100 yard groups. Check one out and you would be pleased. Good luck, and good hunting.

#28 ·
I hunt Delaware and Maryland with Delaware being shotgun only. I have the older 210 Savage in 12 gauge shooting the SST. I purchased the gun very reasonably and had the trigger adjusted to 2.5lbs and it is only limited by the guy shooting it. lol The price was really reasonable and it does the job for me
for the last ten years.
Good luck,
daddus

#29 · (Edited)
12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug

I hunt New Jersey and Delaware every year and use a 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug. I have taken 23 deer in my life - all with slugs. Early on I used a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and rifle sights but i found I was missing deer when I tried longer shots. When the Ultra Slug first came out I bought one and traded my Mossberg 500 in on it. I have never looked back. If I have learned nothing else in my life, I have learned that after the first shot is fired, the deer is almost always down or gone, so why worry about the second shot.

If your shots are always 50 yds or less, it doesn't really matter which gun you use but if you have the possibility of 100 yd plus shots get yourself a 12 ga. H&R UltraSlug and put a really good 3x9 scope on it. One more piece of advice is to spend the time and money to determine which sabot your Ultra Slug likes best . . . and it is very possible that gun to gun, the type and length will vary. This is an expensive proposition but if you are looking at a 10 pointer at 150 yds, you will wish you had!

I use a Nikon 3x9 Slughunter with the BDC reticule. I also own and use a good rangefinder and hunt exclusively from a tree stand at the edge of a field. For me, this is a combination that can't be beat. My farthest shot to date has been 146 yds ranged. That 7 point (as well as every other deer since getting my Ultra Slug) has dropped where they stood. I credit the gun but I also credit the 3" 12 ga. Winchester Partitioned Gold Sabots.

By the way, I hunt a friends farm in Delaware and he hunts my farm in NJ - we limit hunters to each other and immediate family. We both used to allow others to hunt our farms but carless fires and trash have caused both of us to restrict access as I mentioned. It is a real shame that a few have to ruin it for all!

#30 ·
The only legal choices for deer hunting where I live are shotgun, handgun, & muzzleloader. I have taken deer with all of the above. When I really want to get seriious about filling the freezer, I grab my old .20 ga Ithaca Deerslayer. This is a smoothbore, rifle sighted gun & I have always shot Remington Sluggers through it. In my younger years I used to hunt with open sights, but have had a scope mounted on the barrel of this gun for quite a few years now.
I like the .20 ga because it shoots a little flatter than the heavier .12 ga slugs but still has plenty of knock down power. (too many people suffer from "magnumitis") I have the gun sighted in at 75 yards, but can aim dead on at ranges from up close out to about 100 yards. Realistically though, most of my deer are taken within 30 yards.

#31 ·
Hunting types should determine the slugs you shoot. Pumpkins (rifled slugs) work better at close range. Most of the sabots are a jacketed slug. They are designed for long distances more so than close range. If you only shoot close shots the pumpkins will out preform. Longer sabots will do better so it depends on how and where you hunt. Types of sabots really depend more on what your gun likes. Same as with a rifle. JMO I would rather use a bow but second choice is a slug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.