Deer Hunting Forums banner

What's the best way to sight in this gun?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ronn 
#1 ·
Hello all!

After finding this sight through Google, i decided to join and ask a few questions:

I have a Traditions Springfield Hawkens model .50 cal muzzle loader with open sights.

I was wondering if anybody has this kind of gun, and what is the best way to sight it in, and at what range.

I've shot it a few times already (Bought it new) and it is shooting to the right and up about 4 inches diagonal from the bullseye at 20 yards (!). But it was grouping within about 2 inches in that same spot. So i guess that's pretty good.

I'm using 100-125 grains of Pyrodex RS (FFG equivalent) powder with Remington No.11 percussion caps, and Thompson/Center MAXIHUNTER 275 gain bullets/slugs (Whichever you'd call them, they look like shotgun slugs to me :) ) I'm going to be using traditional lead balls with patches from now on, however, because they are cheaper :rolleyes: and i wanted to go more traditional...

Thank you for your answers in advance. I appreciate how clean this forum is compared to the "norm" that's out there :yucky:

-nathan

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from Ohio. Most likely the barrel rifling twist is 1-48" which means it will shoot slugs/bullets ok, and patched round balls ok. This is a compromise twist as a good round ball barrel would be 1-60" to 1-70" and good bullet/sabot barrel will be 1-28". I shoot 90 grs 3f black powder in my 50 cal. If my memory serves me, someone will surely correct me, you move the rear sight in the direction of the holes. Move the rear sight up and to the left to get the bullets to strike lower/right. Guys is this correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.