Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Good caliber for 13 year old daughter.
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks Bruce for both the good luck and the info. Not sure where you are but we are in Milton and the guys at the Powderhorn in Williston are the ones that have helped me. I ran into a guy in Dicks last weekend looking for a new rifle for his daughter and as it happens he has the rifle I was looking at. Its the composite with blued barrel, and I think he said a Simmons 3-9x40mm scope. Any suggestions on ammo..? I have heard the lighter the grain of lead the less recoil..?! Im sure my daughter will love the rifle as I said she liked the 20 gauge single at camp. My 17 year old was shocked when I told her she was going to get my 30-30. Its an older Marlin 30a. Walnut stock that is engraved with a bucks head and checkering. I put a slip-on recoil pad on it to help with the kick. It had just the plastic butt protector. One of my better deals from the Powderhorn. Bought it 5-6 years ago with the scope for $245. And Bill even gave me an old soft case he had...Cant say even about the crew over there. Best of luck to you and yours as well...