Deer Hunting Forums banner

Gear Questions

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tnrebelguitarist 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year I realized that my bib overalls and jacket have gotten kind of sung around the chest and midsection. I love my set-up, its 10x Gortex, 150 gram thinsulate bibs with a 2-in-1 200 gram thinsulate jacket. However, it is getting kind of old considering I've been wearing it for almost 4 years now. I was doing some looking around for new gear and wanted to ask a few questions about gear, scents, and attractants:

1. How does the 10x Gortex, Torrent (Mossy Oak), and Bone Dry (Red Head I think) stack up with one another as far as bulkiness, loudness of the fabric, wind/water/weatherproof, warmth, etc. Most of the set ups I looked at had the 150 gram thinsulate bibs with a 2-in-1 200 gram jacket ( the jacket is important to me because I don't have to buy a seperate bow hunting jacket for those chilly mornings that turn into warm days), but I haven't had any experience with the Torrent gear or the Bone Dry...frankly the 10x Gortex has worked fine for me with all their gear through the years, but I'm just wondering if there is anything better.

2. I came across some DIH ( doe in heat) scents at bass pro that I haven't ever used before. Blazin' Doe was one, Knight N Hale had one out as well, then there was the DIH gel from Code blue. I was just wondering if anyone had success with these. My dad has always ordered DIH from a small place in Illinois that collects it fresh and does not dilute it whatsoever. It has lead to great success throughout the year (even bringing in buck during the late seasons of December and January). However, they have been out of contact so I am wondering what would be the best buy for DIH.

3. What mineral licks have y'all had success with? Any in particular or are they all about the same. I read on another post that as long as they are above 51% mineral, they are legal for use during season ( in most states) but I was wondering just how do you tell that from reading the packages...most that I have looked at just had the percentage of Salt (min and max) then the percentage of Sodium (min and max)....I am kind of confused about this....

Thanks for all the help. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the red head bibs and jacket and i really didn't like them not very durable and the zippers broke, I didn't think they were warm either. I just use plane mineral salt and a little corn to go on the top always does the trick. I have never used any of that fancy seems to high for my taste.

#4 ·
1) Gortex hands down. Bone Dry suits I have had are gone---Given away. For warmth Artic Shield is absolutely the best especially their new products. Others I like are the Road Trips suits, Mossy Oak APX, and the SilverMax products. I literally have dozens of outfits and these are my favorites.
2) Scents: Maniac 150, 155---Pete Rickards Interdigital. I recently tried Code Blue and Knight-Hale doe pee. The deer were not alarmed but did not seem that interested either (then again they were not suppose to be). I used them in hopes the deer would be more comfortable in my shooting lanes. I guess they worked.
3) Mineral licks really are for antler development times and late season when deer are more interested in obtaining these nutrients. Have not seen much interest in most of the hunting season in fact my mineral licks have not been touched since August. Deer are on acorns now and have even stopped coming to the apple trees on my farms. Acorn Rage is red hot now. I don't hunt over bait or food sources but travel routes associated with them. The reason for this is that I have to be able to leave the property undetected and if I am in the food source surrounded by deer that becomes impossible.

#5 ·
A response to question 3...

Any item that has just salt/minerals is fine. Even the bottles of flavored liquid minerals are ok. They should have the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle. If you find no food ingredients your ok. Where you get into trouble would be actual food items. Such as the acorn rage, corn etc. Something the deer would be attracted to so they could eat it.

Any salt/mineral block you can find at co-op or TSC would be fine. But just like wmi said they are more likely to hit that stuff during other times of the year besides hunting season.

What 10 point said is true, deer will hit just plain ol salt. But dont add the corn on top if you plan on hunting around it within 10 days of the corn being gone. In the state of TN you could get busted for baiting.

#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the responses y'all.

I would like to ask about that RR 150. Where can that be purchased? If only online or through mail, then what is the normal shipping cost?

Thx for the advice on the mineral licks. I wasn't exactly sure when to do put them out. I figured if nothing else I could put some just off a main deer trail or in a logging area at about mid season and then come back to hunt it during the late season. Give the deer time to find it and let it get kind of established in the ground.

I normally hunt over fields of White Clover/Wheat with strips of corn in sections of it. However, like last year, my hunting area has experienced a bit of a drought, so I'm am looking for things to sub in place of the food that might not be there this season.

Thanks again y'all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.