Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Springbok Takeaway
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Scrub Buck

Cheers guys.

OK, so Cape Buff.

This is unlikely to be what you want to hear but if you go about it right, there isn't as much drama as you'd think. You've got to consider the sheer size of these things, the density of it's muscle mass and the thickness of it's hide. For example, one of my mates is a Sth African vet, and he told me that during his training in Sth Africa, he had to disect a cape Buffalo's head - he said it has the hardest thing he'd ever done. The skin on the boss and around the forehead generally is just over an inch think - take a Stanley Knife to it, and it won't hardly scratch it!

So you bide your time, stalk and wait for the right shot, take it and take another two maybe then wait. Simple - it's just the where I've been is effectively jungle with dense cover and vegetation. Wound one and you had a big problem, but it may not even be your fault, for all you know, the Buff you came face to face with may have been shot yesterday by poachers, or wounded in some other way - lions eat 'em and I don't blame the lions one little bit!

Huge hearts on them, really strong, powerful things, powerful smelling too.

It's like any big animal, or small one come to that - if you surprise it, frighten it or wound it, regardless of if it's intimidated, wounded, frightened, threatened or whatever, it's gonna fight for it's life, and in this case, that means big trouble. Fortunately I've never been involved directly in such a way, but I've met plenty that have and it's not how I'd want to spend a holiday!

The guy on the left is John Wambach from Pro-Guiding in Namibia. I don't represent him but he deserves a mention as he was pretty badly injured by an angry cape buffalo that slashed against the back of his legs causing a fair amount of damage to his hamstrings and ligaments - he recovered well enough but I'd not want to trade places with him. The creature was injured by a hunter and as PH he was there to back the guy up. There's a longer version of the story but it's not mine to tell - all I'd say is that if this is what you want to go and shoot, please take enough gun for the job.

Not meaning to preach here, it's just that I've seen quite a few hunters in my time, some of whom have had some pretty strange ideas about what constitutes enough gun. I've seen bow-hunters, black-powder hunters and so on too, but for this you really need a minimum of .375 H&H Mag, preferably a .416 Rigby, and solids too, 300gr solids is my preference. 9.3x62 will do it too, .458 certainly sorts them out, but I find that a bit too much for my liking, each to their own, but that's what I think makes the difference here, combined with good technique, patience and the support of a decent PH!

Incidentally, it looks like Namibia's Nature Conservation Department have decided not to issue any permits for Cape Buff this year. I was out in June and it was highly doubtful then - not sure why, the WWF guys were around a lot counting game levels in Etosha, Damerland and Cocoland but the rains were exceptional in Angola this year, and the resulting flood-off kept the Caprivi underwater all season long - no grass for roofs this year then - good job it doesn't rain there much!

If you fancy it, my best advice would be to go to Namibia - it's the most unspoilt, stable, safe country in Africa by MILES and the country is unspoilt. Here - how's this for a view:

This is from Stillerus which overlooks the Etosha National Park, or this:

This is a trail through the mountains at Stillerus - great for Kudu and Kemsbok in wood like this - and leopard!

Last edited by TheHuntingAgency; 08-08-2008 at 09:31 AM.