Deer Hunting Forums banner

Stock Length

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pizzitem 
#1 ·
Hi fellas

I'm new to the DeerHuntersClub so I'm sorry if this question was already asked. I own a 30-30 and a 7 mm Mag. I bought these guns when I was kind of young not knowing really anything about a gun except you pull the trigger to make it go off. My question though is how important is gun fit. When I purchased these guns no one really said this looks good for you or this looks too big. I'm comparing this to Bowhunting you have to have the correct draw length and draw weight. Is gun fit the same as bow fit? Could you guys please point me into the right direction.

Thanks
Jeff

G
#2 ·
I think fit is a major part of shooting well. Look at the rifles the Olympic shooters use and the number of ways they can just the rifle. There is the "pull" the distance from the trigger to the but plate. There is the drop, the distance from natural line of sight to where the but sits in the shoulder pocket. There is the rise of the cheek piece, from natural line of sight to where your cheek rests on the cheek rest. There is the palm swell. I think most rifles are made to be more or less generic for the masses. Guys will spend lots of money having long guns built to fit them or spend money on add-ons to make a rifle fit. The easiest and I think lease expensive way is to work with a gun shop that knows how to make sure the long gun fits you, not just sell you a gun. I'm sure there is a shop somewhere around your neighborhood that can help you with this. Or maybe there is some one at your local gun club or range that can help. There is more to it than just picking a caliber. hope that was some help and welcome to the club.

#3 ·
ronn nailed it.shotguns are the same too.i remember watching a show by the Army shooting team and they said something like keep your eyes closed and shoulder your weapon then open your eyes .your sights should be in alignment to your eye.if not the fit is off and you can shim the stock.If your using your youth guns im sure they can add some length to it by adding recoil pads and shims.Im no expert on the subject.welcome to the site by the way.

#5 ·
hello from Ohio. There's no question proper fit is necessary maybe slightly more important in bowhunting than guns for the average hunter. I agree with all ronn said and add that I like a rifle/shotgun's length of pulll to allow the trigger finger to overlap to the first joint. Sometimes maybe most times its a compromise because of the generic manufacture's specs. However, once you have a proper fitting stock its like a favorite glove.

#6 ·
I agree that fit is important even in a rifle. I'm not a very big guy and find that lots of rifle stocks don't feel right. Usually too long. One of the best fitting rifles that I have is a Rem Model Seven - it's made specifically for smaller stature shooters. Another of my favorit fits is a Rem Mountain Rifle which is supper slim so it feels just right in my smaller grip. I suppose fit is more important in shotguns and bows, but it is still pretty important in rifles... and handguns. That was a good question, and welcome from Montana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.