Deer Hunting Forums banner

Nebraska finally allowing scopes, good or bad???

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
Nebraska has finally decided to allow variable power scopes on muzzleloaders this year. In past years you could only use open sights or a fixed 1x scope. Being an outfitter in Nebraska, we've seen a huge increase in interest in muzzleloader hunters wanting to come. What are your thoughts about the use of scopes on muzzleloaders?

#2 ·
Personally I want every advantage I can get and a scope is certainly an advantage. I assume they allow inline and the new smokeless powders which allow much longer shots than old front stuffers. I won't hesitate to take a shot out to 150 yards with my remington.

I don't doubt there is an increase in interest, MZ is my favorite season.

#3 ·
I personally don't use a scope on my muzzleloader. The only reason is a friend made it for me and it will not take a scope. Matter of fact the sights he put on it, I had to use a file to sight it in. lol He was an old guy who liked the old ways. He died a year after he made it for me and it's kind of silly but I kept it the way he made it as a sortof tribute to him. I still use round balls and triple F blackpowder. But still the gun is acurate out to 100 - 125 yards and where I hunt thats about all the range you need. But I don't see any problem with scopes on em if you want one.

#5 ·
sounds like a good thing all around.the hunters can ensure more acurate shots and the outfitters can get increased customers.Im squirelling away the money to come out to your place:thumbup:

#7 ·
I personally like having the option to use scopes, I've had bad experiences with clients who thought they could shoot farther than they were truely capable of shooting with open sights. I just wanted to see the general thoughts about this, there are many purests here in Nebraska all up in arms about letting us use scopes. I'm all for a good clean ethical kill, makes my job a whole lot easier. :wink:

#8 ·
I wish states would keep modern weapon seasons separate from primative weapon seasons. When states like mine in Ohio allow hunters to use modern muzzleloaders including scopes, then it becomes the hunter's option to use whatever they want. There is no question that a hunter gets a measure of usable help with a scope. I enjoy my flintlocks far more than my inline, however, I also know that when lined up in the crosshairs that deer is most likely a soon to be dead one. This is not so sure when using the flintlock, sometimes it goes off and sometimes not. That is what makes it a hunt for some of us. I have no problem with those wanting scopes to be legal, just separate the seasons for us charcoal burners.
:smile:

#10 ·
To me it's just plain ole common sense, If a scope allows you to see the
animal better the shot will be better placed offering a fast clean kill versus
the risk of just shooting and wounding the animal...

#12 ·
I'm all for it as long as people still understand the limitations of their blackpowder gun

#13 ·
I agree with that too Joel but think of it this way, if someone is looking thru a scope and shooting at a Deer that's standing 250 yards away
and their bullet will only reach 200 yards, All their going to hit is the ground..

#15 ·
I think it's fine to have scopes on muzzleloaders, but I think that calling these new muzzleloaders "primitive firearms" is a bit of a stretch. If someone wants to hunt with an inline, primered, scoped muzzle loader...it should have to be in the regular firearms season. Some of these new guns shoot farther, and are accurate farther out than certain centerfire loads that are legal to hunt with.

#17 ·
I agree with flexj. Maybe someday they will reclassify the inline to a std firearm and keep the designated muzzleloader season to the primative firearms. The technology changes have made a big diff over the last 10 years however the laws governing the seasons have not changed in NH. I would welcome a seperate
primative season.

Case in point: We have towns designated for shotgun only but using your inline muzzleloader is allowed. I will always grab my inline Omega over my shotgun within the regular designated firearms season.

#18 ·
i guess it depends if its ,muzzloader season or primitive season.no rabbit season ,duck season:biggrin::biggrin:,just having bugs bunny flashbacks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.