Deer Hunting Forums banner

What Do You Use For A Possibles Bag?

10K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
i saw one in cabelas called a long hunter(i think) ,im thinkin one of them would be good for hunting,they also have a leather smaller looking one on sale but i was wondering if the the smell of the leather would mess up the deer hunting.

#2 ·
I keep all my stuff in a belt type fanny pack. I don't know about the smell of leather it would probably fade over time. There are just to many good synthetics out there you can wash every now and then for me to use a leather product and there cheaper to.

#4 ·
i keep ALL my BP stuff in a black canvas tool bag.when i go hunting i use speedy loaders ,(5)and i keep the primers in a pill bottle the ramer in my inside vest coat pocket so its warm and easy to find..thinking of getting a stock sleeve for the speedy loaders

#5 ·
In my truck I carry everything in a tupperware container then transfer everything into specific pockets in my clothing. I always know exactly where everything is and never have to search to make a second shot if necessary. I use to use a waist pack too but found that having my hands in my pocket sitting there it just imbedded the location of each item in my mind so when the time came there was no looking or thinking just reaction. Tried the stock sleeve as well but kept knocking the damn speed loaders open. Keep the 209's in my left pocket loose (5 or so ) with my rod pusher and I use the tube my bullets come in for bullet and pellets. 5 seconds and ready to shoot round two. At the end of the day all back in the container. It works but it all comes down to your likes. DON'T USE LEATHER. Smell, holds moister for longer periods of time, can't wash it, have to treat it, smells again, etc...

#6 ·
As a flintlock hunter and I like tradition I use a leather possibles bag. I also use a small leather ball bag. I haven't had deer spook from any smells. The big bag is nice to get to things quickly for reloading. It has 1 main divider in it. I do stray a bit as I use pre-measured powder charges instead of a horn. All my muzzleloading stuff is kept in a big fishing tackle box for storage.

#8 ·
:useless:
WE WANT PICKS

#11 ·
now thats funny.by the way i hit edit insted of quote ,sorry:bag:

#14 ·
Not Proud

I use an old leather purse with fringe and all. I just extended the shoulder strap and ... There you go... That is what I use for shotgunning... for rifle, I have an old WW2 OD pouch that I added a leather thong to carry over the shoulder. its canvas with one of those big button snaps. Very quiet.

#15 ·
I tend to carry way too much stuff with me into the field, so I have a backpack/fanny pack combo that I use for all seasons to carry my stuff. I do carry my powder stuff in a ziplock now after having a spill or two. I think it will help in case of wet weather as well.

Oh, and did I read that post right...5 sec reloads...you should give seminars.

#18 ·
I am a kinda do it yourself guy and try and make things that will work. 1/2" pvc cut to about 3" in length and glue an end cap on 1 side. This will hold the premeasured powder and will pour into the barrel with any spilling. For my sabbotts I use 3/4" pvc one end glued about 5" long and it will hold enough sabbotts for a days of hunting hunting. Take a black magic marker and color the end cap that will be removed. This keeps you from pulling on the glued end. #11 primers in their own case, and I am a fanny pack user, PVC will fit in any pant or coat pocket and ready for use.

#23 ·
I would think "Leather" bags on hunts would be beneficial because of the salt used in the tanning process..
Wouldn't you think that leathers would naturally give off salt scents? hmmm makes ya wonder...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.