Deer Hunting Forums banner

gun size

12K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Easy A 
#1 ·
what would be a good gun for a 10 and 13 year olds to use for deer and turkey would like on for both them to use that doesnt kick alot but will still make a clean kill

G
#2 · (Edited)
You are pretty limited when you say deer and turkey. A 20 gage shot gun is about it, but it has a kick to it. Now that can be controlled with limbsaver recoil pad and by using a pump, better yet an auto loader, for added weight of shells in the magazine. I am not a fan of auto loaders for new shooters though. Watch out for the single shot 20's that are labeled youth guns. they tend to be light and perceived recoil is more. You should use a pellet or 22 rim fire to teach them to shoot and gun safety first instead of jumping right to a gun with some oomph behind it. Just a suggestion.

#3 ·
:goodposting: also try looking into a 410 shootgun

#6 ·
Unfortunately, you really need a separate gun for each. A 20 ga which would be tolerable for kick, may be a bit light for turkeys and just ok for deer using slugs. Savage made combination guns, rifle on top of a shotgun. Some states allow the use of these. This is not a easy fix. Most of us were in your position as youngsters and you will find a gun to meet your immediate needs. Just think on it and don't be in a hurry to buy something. I started with a 16 ga remington shotgun, this was a good compromise at the time I was 14.

#9 ·
i saw an ad for that gun or similar in the new NRA mag how do ya like the combo set up?

#12 ·
semi-auto

I got my son a remington 11-87 20ga. We have to barrels for it a fully rifled barrel with 2x7x33 scope.Then we have a smooth bore choked barrel for turkey hunting.He shoots a scoped .22 all the time.So he does not get gun shy.Last year he shot this first deer at age 9.He shot it in the heart at 65yds fisrt shot,then shot it one more time at 40yds again in heart.He was so pumped up about it ,he never felt the gun kick.

#15 ·
Your right about the single youth models kicking. 2 years ago I bought my son a NEF single 20 Pardner thinking it was the ultimate starter gun. He shot it twice but it was too much gun for him and he became afraid of it. I did not force the issue. I shot it several times and was surprized myself even after adding a slip on recoil pad. He loves shooting the 22. He is much bigger now and I think he is ready for it. We'll give it another go in a few weeks.

#16 ·

im 13 and my brother is 10. I personaly like a 270. for open country. My brother on the other hand prefers a 223. We dont turkey hunt alot but when we do turkey hunt i like a 20 gauge pump. The 270 has knock down power and is very acurate. The 223. barely kicks at all and will definetly put the smack down on and whitetail in the woods. Also 243 is good for both 10 and 13 year olds.

#18 · (Edited)
I worked at Dicks sporting goods and we sold quite a few of those, everyone liked them especially with young hunters just starting out...
"i have a single shot .243 that changes to a twenty gauge in 15 seconds

its made by rossi firearms

it actually doesnt have thatmuch of a kick

its also a very good dove gun

i got it for like 330.00 dollars"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.