Deer Hunting Forums banner

broadheads for hogs?

15K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  venison~lover 
#1 ·
just wondering what kind of broadheads people use to shoot a hog. im kinda leary about using an expandable. they got tougher and thicker skin than a whitetail.

#6 ·
well my quiver is now full. ive got 3 arrows with muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. and 2 arrows with 100 gr. spitfires. im leaning toward the muzzys for my first shot and then after i see how they do ill decide whether or not i need to try the spitfires.

by the way thats not all the broadheads and arrows im taking with me. thats just the ones that are my first choice to carry in the woods. :coffee:

#8 ·
I would steer clear of the expandables on the hogs. ( Personally, I wouldn't recomend them for deer either) Expandables loose energy upon impact as they open. I have seen plenty of deer shot that should of had an exit that didn't just cause of expandable broadhead choice. I went on a recent pig hunt and me and my buddys shot 7 pigs. Most of us use Muzzys. I got two boars and both were shot multiple times with pass throughs. Even shooting right thru the grissle plate.
Why would you choose an expandable anyway? The reason I hear most is that the arrows fly true and accurate, and it cuts a large hole. 1st off, if your bow is tuned properly, your arrows will fly true with a ridged broadhead. If your arrows don't fly true with a particular broadhead, tune your bow, if that don't work, tune your arrows so your broadhead blades are in line with your feathers and each arrow is identical. If they still don't fly straight get a different fixed blade broadhead.
2nd, a large wound hole does you no good if there is no exit hole... And, if you hit your mark, little hole, big hole, still just as dead, 100 yards down the trail.

#13 ·
I would go for either the Muzzy MX4 or the Montec G-5 both are excellent broadheads the Montec is a solid one piece 3 blade broadhead so there is no putting blades on the head. however the MX4 is an awesome arrow that leaves excellent holes in the game animal and makes it easy to track after words.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.