Deer Hunting Forums banner

important lesson learned

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
Well guys, I learned a valuable lesson this morning that I didn't realize I needed to re-learn.
I was out turkey hunting and it was a GREAT morning for it. The toms were sounding off early from the treetops and we had a nice gobblers within 150 yds of us on the roost. Got to see his girlfriend fly down first, within 40 yds of our decoys, then saw him fly down about 5 minutes later within 50 yds of our decoys. When he landed he was just on the other side of the ridge and on his way. He closed the distance to 30-40 yds and right before I was going to shoot, (he was coming right towards our blind) he decided to go to my right. SO, naturally, I repositioned my shotgun and here is where the problem began. When I repositioned my shotgun, I guess I didn't have it seated deep into my shoulder anymore, it was a little high on my shoulder- so, you guessed it, Mr. Scope met Mr. Forehead officially this morning. 8 stitches, a bad headache and a trip to the ER has been my fun morning. Talk about rocking my world. NEVER had a problem with this, NEVER ever done anything like this before. I feel completely dumb that I let something like this happen. Let me be the example for all of you. Seat that firearm GOOD in your shoulder before ever dreaming of firing it.
Doc says I'll get the stitches out in 5 days.... :bag:

#2 ·
oh boy, not a good morning Tator. I was on hand years ago when a buddy took one the same way while sighting in a rifle in PA. We were able to close up the gash with steri (spell?) strips. Just a question, do you have a long eye relief on the shotgun scope? I'm sure you do. I have read about people installing rifle scopes on shotguns and feel the pain of their mistake afterwards. Good luck on the healing up and get the tom!!!!

#4 ·
Well the gun was actually my buddy's. My 12 gauge is not scoped and I do not plan on scoping it. Like I said, it all happened so fast and man talk about the thump on the head. No bruising or swelling (thank goodness) but now I have to deal with the uncomfortableness of stitches in my forehead. It was mixed emotions. I didn't get the bird and this happened so I was pretty ticked off. Had I got the bird, I may have made up a story about the bird attacking me and barely being able to get off a shot! :) haha

#7 · (Edited)
Don't feel bad it happens I am afraid of it happening to me (thankfully it hasen't yet) both my brothers have done it one forgot to tighten the scope scews and scope came back like a rocket
This is one reason I use HiViz TriViz sights on our shotguns & no need to remove them for skeet or upland/waterfowl hunting
Hope you heal fast & get that bird

you weren't doing this were you?

#8 ·
Weather here has been bad today and tomorrow. Going to go back out Saturday morning. I'm slowly healing. Still hurts at times, but it's mostly the uncomfortableness that stinks. Can't wait to get the stitches out. I told my wife that this will never happen again. It's one of those things you look back and say "I can't believe I did that, how stupid!"

#10 ·
I'm glad the local news didn't report that "Tom", the renegade turkey, sent another hunter to the ER when after inflicting a life threatening slash with his 2" spurs, while laying in ambush, was later heard gobbling to his lady friends about another successful trophy, the mighty Tator. That would have bad for all of us!! :tongue: Hope the healing is going well my friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.