Deer Hunting Forums banner

Marlin bolt action rifles

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Karl.Luhr 
#1 ·
I have been looking at Marlin Centerfire Bolt Action Rifles and torn between which X7 series to get. I am looking at something for hunting, light in weight and works with shorter arm spans. (5'2 female) Figured best place to get some good insight would be a hunting forum. I have a 1968 .270 Winchester with everything original that was my grandfather's gun...after a while it gets a little too heavy for me in the woods (broke one arm twice so strength is not all there with some arthritis...not a wimp:) and I also feel too cautious about the gun getting messed up than finding deer. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
On this rifle, I like camo stocks so I would lean towards the x7c, I also think the Synthetic stock will meet your needs well but you will need to put a scope on it, keep that in mind.
Marlin is a good brand but don't be afraid to look at others before deciding, just as an example, here's the link to a Mossberg 4x4 in .270 with synthetic stock,
It only weighs 6.75 lbs and has a removable Clip.

Good Luck whichever you choose.

#3 ·
Why Marlin? Ruger American is a nice, accurate rifle that comes in a compact version mroe suited for a short frame, as does T/C's Venture Compact, or even a good old Remington Model7 in a 7mm-08 that will do everything you need. Marlin does make a good rifle, as does Savage and all of the above, but your original post doesn't explain just why you are limiting your search to Marlin.

#4 ·
Marlin makes a shorter stock compact version of the xs7

At 5`2" you would want the shorter butt stock to better fit your arm length. I would recommend either the 7mm-08 or 308win in the XS7 over the choices in the XL7 270, 30-06 etc. This rifle only weight 6.5 lbs and that makes it easy to carry even with one weak arm. It will have more felt recoil in the long action cartridges. I have only seen one of the rifles in the camo stock finish and I liked it. It may show scratches more with the camo finish.

Karl

#5 ·
I have looked at (held and shot a few) other manufacturers and seemed to like the Marlin's fit the best for me. I was just wondering if anyone had one that could give insight on the gun series. If I am going to spend money on a.gun and a good sight, I want to be comfortable in all aspects while shooting it.

#6 ·
I will look into their .308, actually like shooting .308s just never have shot one from a Marlin. We have a gun show this weekend and hoping to get my hands on some more Marlins. (Planning on shooting range first to see if I like the feel of it)

#8 ·
I have set-up two Marlin XL7s in 30-06

I really liked the way the two that I set up shot. One had a Nikon scope on the other I mounted a Redfield revolution 2x7. I didn't bother to shoot them at 100 yards and just wanted to get the scopes dialed in to as a starting point for the new owners. I do know a couple of guys at the range that shoot 7mm-08 and they are huge fans of it. One guy took his whole family to Africa on safari and his wife and Son shot a 7mm-08. She and his Son had a blast taking several beautiful plains animals with the cartridge. I would plan on spending atleast 150.xx on a good scope for your rifle, it sounded like that was already your plan.

Karl

#9 ·
Found a local gun shop they had the Marlin with a scope mounted already. I kept having the ring appearing in my vision so I guess I am stuck with looking at youth rifles bc of my arm length :(. Is it worth sticking with Marlin youth or is there something better? We are not that familiar with youth rifles.
I did however find my scope I want mounted regardless of the gun...viper vortex.

#10 ·
The scope position can be moved fore-or-aft in the rings to best suit your eye relief. Just because it was already mounted don't think it has to stay exactly where it is. If the rifle length, weight and length-of-pull suits you, then you can get other scope rings to make the eye relief distance of the scope right for you.

#11 ·
Marlin Bolt Actions -One Piece Scope Base

There are multiple ring position location options on the one piece base. Usually the problem is the front ring location to compensate for where a shooter wants the scope for ideal eye relief. I found that as long as your objective of your scope is not huge it isn't a big problem. Larger objectives may require taller rings to obtain the clearance needed. The included scopes in the Marlin rifle packages are not very good. I am being nice just calling them "not very good".

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.