Deer Hunting Forums banner

Camping

14K views 61 replies 10 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
Anybody doing any camping? Getting a late start here getting our plans together but hoping we will still get to go despite the high price of gas.

Looking at annual trips to Smokemont and Elkmont in the Smokies (prettiest camp grounds you ever saw), Long branch on the Caney Fork, a trip up to Tellico maybe Indian Boundary(those mountains are just good for what ails ya), The Obey river below Dale Hollow is a definite and I can't leave out the Clinch river below Norris Lake. All great trout fisheries.

That should wrap up the spring, for the summer we'll leave the big camper on Chickamauga lake and fish for those 100 lb cat fish. And drink lots of beer and pick till our fingers bleed.

Well I feel better now that I have a plan:w00t:

#5 · (Edited)
No camping as of yet buckshot. My family and a friends family are going to stay in the smokey mts next week though. We rented us a cabin and got plans of sitting around and doing not much of anything. Its a far cry from camping though.. The cabin is more like a house. Matter fact its alot nicer than my house. Ill add a link and yall can check it out.

Chateau Bearden - Overnight Cabin Rental in Tennessee

#8 ·
I would be interested in hearing about some of the out of the way camping sites you guys might know about. I am trying to collect info for the time the wife and I say enough and hit the road. We can go with or with out hook ups. Some of our favorite spots are primitive with no organized camp just pull in and set up and usually free. I have a small 12' camper for the back in the mountains camping.

#12 ·
I would be interested in hearing about some of the out of the way camping sites you guys might know about. I am trying to collect info for the time the wife and I say enough and hit the road. We can go with or with out hook ups. Some of our favorite spots are primitive with no organized camp just pull in and set up and usually free. I have a small 12' camper for the back in the mountains camping.
The Allegany State Park in the Southern Tier of NY and NW Pa. is a great camping area. There are many types of cabin styles and even great spots for RV's, trailers, pop ups and more. The park has about 100+ hiking/exploration trails all over the mountains (Appalachian foothills). There is also a huge bike trail that goes around a large lake where you have a small boat launch/rental and picnic areas. 2 thumbs up!!!!!

#10 ·
i try to combine my hunting trips with camping.you save money camping at a state park as opposed to a motel

G
#13 ·
When I use to go camping it was always somewhere different than the area I live. So I like the coast. NH has a state campground right on the ocean thats very inexpensive which is why there is a waiting list. Its nice. A friend of mine said that there is a good one in the Keys but thats the same thing hard to get reservations. I live in the mts and there are lakes near by so like a I said different is the ocean. Camping at an event would be fun. Like the boonedangle or whatever it is down there in TN. That music thing. kinda like a woodstock but with country and blue grass music, now that would be a hoot. OR of course a hunting trip of any kind.

#16 ·
I'm glad you said that I forgot we have paid reservations at Hunting Island State Park. It is right on the ocean above Hilton Head. It's one of those that is hard to get reservations for. We made our reservations last summer.

I have looked at going to Bonarroo music festival. They have a sweet 4 day package deal for VIP tickets that include reserved seating for two stages, buffet meals and nicer bathroom facilities including showers. If I went that's the only way I would go, tent camping in July here can be brutal.

#19 ·
i looked at that bonnarro festival.sounded good till ya read all the details.Sounds a little to "hippy" for my taste but to each his own

G
#20 ·
What have you got against hippies, Cartman.? lol I think the line between hippy and ******* is very thin. Both just want to be left alone to do their own thing. Like when Willie Nelson was at a club in Texas and of course who would go see Willie? ******** and hippies. They started scuffling in the crowd and Willie stopped the show and pointed out the similarities and finished the show with out a problem. I've got friends that lean towards hippy, *******, rapper, hillbilly, cityfolk, worldtraveler, liberal dems, republicans, greenpeople, all kinds of ways of thinking which I always find it interesting. No, I don't smoke dope or do any drugs other than caffeine in my coffee and tea. I like these people and I think they like me. A good person is a good person. I guess I'm comfortable with who I am so that makes me comfortable in the company of those who may be different than me. Besides it would be a dull world if we were all the same. just me babbling.

#21 ·
i said to each his own

G
#22 ·
Yeah I read that and i agree to each there own. What? You don't watch South Park? In reference to Cartman. I said it was me just babbling. I just put that out there for people to think about. There are a lot of closed minded people out there, not saying you, and hanging with people that think differently than I do gives me insight to a different way of looking at things. sometimes I have to adjust my way of thinking a little and sometimes it just confirms what I already thought. It also gives them a way of looking at things from another angle. I've hung out with city people and I mean CITY people, NY, Baltimore, Paris, DC, that have never been out in the country and I've found that some are afraid of the dark. They can't believe it gets that dark at night. Just an observation. In any case, I'll bet the music would be good.

#23 ·
It does attract alot of hippie types and yes it is one big party. BUT that is why I would go with the VIP and the RV camping I think you could avoid a lot of that stuff.

There are so many bands there besides the headliners that are good and will be well known in the future, many times at a festival like this the side stages are some of the better ones.

#24 ·
i saw that metallica was playing thats what got me interested in it

G
#25 · (Edited)
Me, I'm all over the map when it comes to music. I can go from Jonny Cash to Pink to Allison Krassus to buckcherry to Crooked Still to Aerosmith. Most of the music I have most people have never heard of. Old 97's, Wrinkle neck Mules, Drive by truckers, cowboy junkies. I Love music. so to keep it related to the thread. camping at an event like Bondaroo would be a good time.

#26 ·
Bonnaroo here ya go everything you need to know

#28 ·
We've been really busy lately shopping for a camper so this thread has been teasing me for sure.
We finally decided on the one we think is best for us.
It's a 2008 30' Zinger ZT26RL Here's a SlideShow link to some Stock photo's..
We're picking it up tomorrow.. I can hardly wait to get camping now..

#29 ·
Sounds and looks like a sweet camper bruce. Must be nice to be retired. (only 30 more yrs for me):whistling:

P.S. If any of yall every decide to camp at bonnaroo let me know. Thats right in my neck of the woods. I drive thru the traffic every year on my way to work.

#34 ·
I got the 1,000/10,000 lb. Equal-i-zer from the RV Dealer, everyone tells me it's the best one to use it takes care of weight Distribution and sway control so that eases some of my towing worries, I got the Valley Odyssey Brake Controller and again everyone tells me thats a superb controller. Esther and I have been shopping for all the camping goodies, Esther filled the cart with flatware, pots, pans, mixing bowls, toiletries etc etc etc,, I picked out the Awning lights :w00t:
<--the vehicle and camper lights I picked out...

<--the Dishes and Bowls Esther picked out,,Isn't she sumptin'?...

Well as you can probably tell we're having fun getting ready for the first adventure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.