Deer Hunting Forums banner

17 hmr

12K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
what is a good shooting bullet for 17hmr?

#3 · (Edited)
I don't own one either but I have seen the .17 HMR ammo by
CCi, Hornady, Federal, Winchester and Remington...
So there are some choices but I couldn't tell you which is the better choice.
Good Luck

#5 ·
hornady created the round so it get the title to it in everyone else's name:wink:

#6 ·
Ive got a savage .17 and i love it. I shoot either remington premier magnum rimfire or hornady. I found that when i shot cci or any sort of hollow points, they didnt fly true and keep to the same pattern every time. Personally i would recommend to stay away from any kind of hollow points, but if you have good luck with sighting them in then go for it.

I sighted mine in last year with the hornady's at 75yds and they worked pretty good. I recently went to cabelas and bought the remington's and they work just as well. I just sighted it back in at 125yds, and im hitting a nickel size spot with five shots. So good luck

#7 ·
I'm gunna have to say whatever shoot best out of your gun. I have the savage 9317vs and it love the 17grn hornady vmax. But it still shoots everything sub moa at 100 yds. Weather being the biggest factor. But I use what groups best for me. Because I won't take a shot at any animal I'm not confadent in. Be it a squirl or an elk. Just my .02

#9 ·
remington loads shoot the best i think but for greater impact the CCi tnt loads are pretty consistant and make a bit of a hole too lol. ultimately i believe it what your gun likes the best we all know you can have 2 identical guns with same ammo and they won t shoot exactly the same . so whatever you find works well and you like through experimentation use it . i mentioned the rounds above as a starting point for ya. good luck have fun shooting.

#14 ·
I have used the 17 hmr on coyote, every shot inside 100 yds and it was effective, good clean kill with proper shot placement, I use the 17 gr hornady vax out of my ruger, I wasn't hunting coyotes, just shots of opportunity when zapping crows. I have done pretty good with the 17, usually average a 1.5 inch group on paper at 200 yards on very calm days, the wind affects these little bullets pretty bad and since I live in oklahoma where the wind never stops blowing, I don't shoot it as much as I want to

#15 ·
i have a marlin 17hmr with a bull barrel i shoot cci tnt 17grain hollow points i have many headless squirrels to know it works well i shot them from 15yds to 80yds i love this gun and yes jake112 you can take down a coyote with it good clean head shot at 85yd did'nt know what hit him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.