Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on dipping (chewing tobacco) while hunting?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
I love a good chew while I hunt, as I'm sure that many of us do.

Can deer smell it on your breath? Can they smell it on the ground from downwind and does it spook them?

I have heard many arguments about this between my hunting buddies (one of which is a registered Maine Guide.)

He argues that he would shoot me out of my stand when I hunt with him if he saw me dipping (chewing.)

His son thinks that he's full of it. He shot a few deer with a mouthful of chew in.

Our good friend sat on his property last year with a cigarette in his mouth, on his cell phone, with a beer between his legs and low and behold had to end the call early to shoot a 210lb. 9-pointer that walked up on him.

So, what are your opinions on chew?
I have seen deer and killed deer while on stand bow hunting, while dipping. I have had deer walk directly under my stand, stop, look around, and keep walking (not spooked). A deer's nose will far surpass anything you can do to prevent your odor. Dip is a foreign odor but it does not seem to spook them. They will walk down wind, up wind, crosswind, and with no wind. They also use thermals which bring scent up and down to them. If you are in a spot they use it makes NO difference. Some deer may avoid an area you are in, but if you are between point A and point B, you will get them.