Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on dipping (chewing tobacco) while hunting?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
honestly, i dip every time i hunt, I'm no pro but I've shot some decent size whitetail bucks where i hunt (south carolina) and i don't think I've ever been winded because of it, then again it all depends. when i hunt in a box stand i usually just spit on the floor but when I'm in a tripod or a leaner i typically spit on the ground but sometimes i bring a spit can just incase. it also has to do with the flavor of dip you use, i dip skoal mint or grizzly wintergreen. if you use something like skoal peach or apple they may pick that up but it also has to do with the wind direction, if the wind is in your face you will usually be fine. hope this helps
I also chew a good bit while on stand and one of my favorites is an apple scented/flavored chew. Two incidents stand out to me; in 2010 we were in a drop camp in the Alaskan bush and awoke to find a bear ambling thru camp (camp consisted of one 9X9 tent). After it ran off, later that day my buddy could not find his bag of chew. It was found a few hours later with the distinctive claw marks of a bear on it and having been 3/4 eaten by said bear. That bear ignored all other food in the camp and only took the chew.

In 2011 I was on a bear hunt in Idaho in a wilderness area. I was sitting in a homemade blind overlooking a bear bait some 75 yards away. I turned my head to see a mule deer buck (in velvet) walk by me at less than 15 yards en route to the bait where he spent 20 mins licking the cooking grease off the bait left there. On his way back up the mountain he came even closer, and at about 5 yards, turned and walked right up in front of me, within less than a yard just on the other side of the branches making up my makeshift blind.

I wondered why he would be so interested in eating the grass right in front of my blind, but then noticed he wasn't eating, but licking the grass and then the branches, making up my blind right in front of me. It then dawned on me that he was licking my.....spit....my apple flavored spit. At one point I slowly slid my hand into the branches and he actually licked my hand (well, glove on my hand). He didn't seem a bit worried about that spit....lol.

Yup, true story.