Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Rifle Help for Next Year
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

I am a huge fan of the Winchester M70 and just purchased a new one to give as a gift to a deserving service member on a "Wounded Warrior" hunt. Though Savage rifles definitely have their loyal fans, The difference in quality between a Savage bolt gun and Winchester M70 is considerable, having personally owed both rifles. As far as getting a "package" rifle with scope included, many times the scopes included in such a package deal are not of very good quality. They may last a few years, they may puke in short order, who knows.

Our gifted rifle now wears a Leupold VX2 as part of our gift, but you don't necessarily need to go that high $$ to get a decent quality scope. I have owned and still own a large number of scopes made by Bushnell, Burris, Leupold, Minox, Nikon, Pentax, Redfield and Zeiss to name a few. I think dependable quality glass starts with something like a Nikon Prostaff, which can be purchased now for around $130. for a nice 2-7x32 model. Other very nice scopes that go for $200 or less include Redfield Revolution, Burris FFII and Leupold VX1. High magnification is not always helpful in big game hunting and a 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 is as high a magnification as you are likely to ever need.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!